History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and the Holy Angels

A Grade II Listed Building in West Bromwich Central, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5188 / 52°31'7"N

Longitude: -1.9949 / 1°59'41"W

OS Eastings: 400444

OS Northings: 291209

OS Grid: SP004912

Mapcode National: GBR 2BT.FZ

Mapcode Global: VH9YN.CYRH

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and the Holy Angels

Listing Date: 1 August 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342667

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219313

Location: Sandwell, B70

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: West Bromwich Central

Built-Up Area: West Bromwich

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: West Bromwich St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
West Bromwich

Listing Text

SP SANDWELL MB HIGH STREET/ST MICHAEL STREET

West Bromwich
14/102 Church of St Michael
and the Holy Angels
1.8.74
II

Roman Catholic Church. 1875 - 7 by Dunn and Hansom, with tower and spire
added 1911 by Edmund Kirby. Red brick with some stone dressings and tile
roof. The chancel is at the south-west end, but for purposes of description
the orientation is assumed to be conventional. Comprises a north-west tower,
a nave with clerestory and continuous chancel, north and south aisles, and
north and south chapels. The west wall has triple stepped lancets with stone
heads and sills, and a moulded pointed doorway with angle shafts. The tower
has clasping buttresses to the lower stage, angle buttresses above, and corner
pinnacles. The spire is of stone. The bell openings are each of two trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil under a pointed head. The north doorway is moulded
and pointed. The aisles are of five bays, with alternate paired lancets and
round windows. The clerestory has single lancets. The transeptal chapels
each have two lancets with a round window above. At the east end is a rose
window. Interior: three-bay nave arcades with pointed moulded brick arches
springing from painted round columns with moulded capitals. The roof has
scissor-braced rafters. West organ gallery. The chancel is divided from the
nave by an arch-braced truss carried on slim engaged shafts. The chancel roof
is boarded. East window contains glass of late C19 date. (VCH, p 61).


Listing NGR: SP0044491209

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.