History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Keadby Lock

A Grade II Listed Building in Keadby with Althorpe, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5927 / 53°35'33"N

Longitude: -0.74 / 0°44'23"W

OS Eastings: 483495

OS Northings: 411415

OS Grid: SE834114

Mapcode National: GBR RV8W.LV

Mapcode Global: WHFF0.LYVN

Entry Name: Keadby Lock

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342734

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165195

Location: Keadby with Althorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN17

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Keadby with Althorpe

Built-Up Area: Keadby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Althorpe and Keadby St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Eastoft

Listing Text

SE 81 SW KEADBY WITH ALTHORPE TRENTSIDE
(east side)
Keadby
4/131 Keadby Lock

GV II

Tidal canal lock and abutments for former swing bridge. 1793-1802 for the
Stainforth and Keadby Canal; new lock gates and sills fitted 1932; concrete
platform, lock-keeper's hut and sheet steel pilings to river front of 1970s-
80s. Ashlar-faced lock basin and bridge abutments. Timber lock gates with
iron railings. Aligned east-west, with River Trent to east. Single lock
basin with 2 alternating pairs of gates; the outer flood gates nearly 8
metres high. Lock wall has depth gauge in Roman numerals inscribed on north
side beside outer flood gates, and inscription to centre of north side
recording fitting of new gates and sills in August 1932. To west of lock
are abutments for former swing road bridge with curved recessed retaining
walls to north and south, and coped stone wall to southern entrance with
wooden and iron barred gate. C20 swing road bridge to west, and brick walls
around lock are not included in the listing. The Stainforth and Keadby
Canal, built to by-pass the lower reaches of the River Don, was purchased by
the South Yorkshire Railway Co which opened a line along the north canal
bank in 1859. Its terminus beside Keadby Lock was superceded in 1864 when
the line was diverted to Keady Bridge a mile to the south.


Listing NGR: SE8349511415

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.