History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Booton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7574 / 52°45'26"N

Longitude: 1.1447 / 1°8'40"E

OS Eastings: 612298

OS Northings: 322386

OS Grid: TG122223

Mapcode National: GBR TCC.278

Mapcode Global: WHLRN.KY9J

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 10 May 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342776

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219913

Location: Booton, Broadland, Norfolk, NR10

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Booton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cawston St Agnes

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Cawston

Listing Text

TG 12 SW BOOTON THE STREET
(south side)
4/9
Church of St Michael
10.5.61 and All Angels.
(formerly listed as
Church of St Michael)

GV II*

Parish church entirely rebuilt in late C19 by the Reverend Whitwell Elwin, rector
of Booton c.1850-1900. Flint with limestone dressings and detail, steeply pitched
plain tiled roofs. Twin diagonally-set west towers, nave, chancel, north porch,
south vestry, all in an eccentric French Gothic style. Window tracery generally
geometric; bays divided by staged buttresses with crocketted pinnacles. Gables
parapetted and coped and surmounted by elaborate crocketted pinnacles, that on the
west gable in three tiers with blank arcading. West towers with elongated blank
arcading in their lower stages surmounted by pierced frieze and crocketted corner
pinnacles. Tall sound openings with ogival heads. Moulded strings and eaves in
limestone; pierced stone eaves parapet on chancel. Set-back buttresses at corners
of nave and chancel. Priest's door in south wall of chancel With arch of five orders
and ogival crocketted hood surmounted by square label with quatrefoiled spandrels.
Doorway surmounted by elaborately-carved niche on clustered shafts. Fine west doorway
and window between towers. In the north porch, set in the east wall, a fine C14 Virgin
and Child (headless) discovered during Elwin's rebuilding works. Interior: spherical
triangular opening above chancel arch. False hammer-beam roof over chancel with arch-
braces on wall-shafts. Angel hammer-beam roof over nave with wall-posts on corbels
with stiff-leaf carving. Linenfold dado panelling around nave walls. Good C19 glass
in nave and chancel. Good C19 pulpit and fittings.


Listing NGR: TG1229822386

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.