History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tottington, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5246 / 52°31'28"N

Longitude: 0.7904 / 0°47'25"E

OS Eastings: 589397

OS Northings: 295521

OS Grid: TL893955

Mapcode National: GBR RBY.NNF

Mapcode Global: VHKBT.NS6Z

Entry Name: Church of St. Andrew

Listing Date: 16 July 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220124

Location: Tottington, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Tottington

Built-Up Area: Thompson

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Thompson

Listing Text

TOTTINGTON
TL 89 NW

3/86 Church of St. Andrew.

16.7.58 II*

Parish church. c.1360, restored 1885-6 by E.P. Willins. Rendered flint with
ashlar quoins and tiled and pantiled roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and
chancel. Tower of 4 stages. Angle buttresses to west becoming diagonal and
diagonal to east. Arched and moulded west door below 2-light window. Cusped
lancets to ringing chamber and 2-light belfry windows, louvred. Battlemented
parapet with string course. Small kneelers to coped aisle walls. South porch
with rebuilt round arch in brick below small niche. Blocked 3-light Perpen-
dicular windows east and west under flat hoods. Roof with tie bars and braces
to ridge piece. Undercut moulded door. Chancel with priest's door, one flat
buttress north and south and diagonal at east. Clerestorey walls rebuilt
in 1886 with new 3-light cusped windows. All aisle and chancel windows covered
with corrugated iron sheets but tracery survives of transitional Decorated
and Perpendicular styles as follows (from south aisle west to north aisle
west via east end) : 3-light panel with spiked lozenges; 2-light ogeed with
reticulation units within larger units vertically; 2-light reticulation net;
2-light round headed cusped lights and diagonal petal; 3-light piled
mouchettes; 2-light panel; 2-light panel; east window C19 stem and leaf; 3-
light intersecting; 3-light pierced panel; 2-light ogeed with rounded trefoils
in vesica; 2-light panel above battlemented transom; 2-light ogeed with 3
mouchettes (14 windows). Interior has 4-bay arcade. Quatrefoil piers with
continuous hollows and filleted lobes north and south on low polygonal bases.
Polygonal capitals support chamfer and sunk quadrant arches with hood on head
stops. Clerestorey window splays fall below apex of arcade. Tall chancel
arch similar. Nave and south aisle roofs 1886. Nave scissor braced with
collars on battlemented wall plates. North aisle roof mainly C14. Moulded
rafters and purlins. Alternate principals on arched braces carrying pierced
traceried spandrels. Chancel roof lowered and plastered. Cinquefoiled sedilia
and piscina. Reredos 1896. Plain octagonal font. No other furnishings.


Listing NGR: TL8939795521

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Limekiln
    Sturston, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.