History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1721-1727, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Knowle, Solihull

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3877 / 52°23'15"N

Longitude: -1.7335 / 1°44'0"W

OS Eastings: 418236

OS Northings: 276668

OS Grid: SP182766

Mapcode National: GBR 4JG.6L1

Mapcode Global: VH9ZK.W7YW

Entry Name: 1721-1727, High Street

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342883

English Heritage Legacy ID: 218347

Location: Solihull, B93

County: Solihull

Electoral Ward/Division: Knowle

Built-Up Area: Solihull

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Knowle

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Knowle

Listing Text

SOLIHULL
1.
5108 KNOWLE
HIGH STREET
SP 1876 & SP 1976
(East Side)
20/482 Nos 1721-1727 (odd)
II GV

2.
Almshouse row. 1885 by William Hawley Lloyd of Birmingham for the Berrow Cottage
Homes Trust, in a Queen Anne revival style. Brick with moulded brick dressings and decoration and some stone dressings; plain tiled roofs with tall single ridge stack with oversailing cornicing to left and paired similar ridge stacks to right. Plan consists of two tall gabled cross wings with lateral side wings to left and right of each, linked by a short lower block. Single storey. Ground floor bay windows under both gables with leaded bell-cast-roofs, both divided by inset doorways. Both gables have two tiers of cut and moulded brick decoration in Perpendicular - Gothic-like tracery panels. The link-block contains two boarded doors and has a moulded stone parapet and two urns. Single window in right-hand wing. End-gables of row have tracery-panelled gables and ogee Tudor-arched dripmoulds, continued to either side as bands, over a boarded door and a window. Inset stone plaque in left hand gable giving details of foundation of almshouses.


Listing NGR: SP1823776671

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.