This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4064 / 52°24'23"N
Longitude: -1.5105 / 1°30'37"W
OS Eastings: 433399
OS Northings: 278822
OS Grid: SP333788
Mapcode National: GBR HFN.5D
Mapcode Global: VHBWY.RSV4
Entry Name: Ford's Hospital
Listing Date: 5 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342891
English Heritage Legacy ID: 218487
Location: Coventry, CV1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael's
Built-Up Area: Coventry
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Coventry Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
5105 GREYFRIARS LANE
SP 3378 NW 10/27 5.2.55.
Early C16. Also known as Greyfriar's Hospital. Endowed 1509 by will of William
Ford. Additional endowment 1517 by William Pisford. Date 1529 on wall refers to
appointment of feofees and possibly to additional building between courtyard and
Timber frame with 1st floor oversailing. Badly damaged in air raid of November
1940 but rebuilt with original timbers 1951-3; altered by additional windows and
stone walling to street.
Much carving to timber framework, including miniature buttresses to close studding
with bases and pinnacles. 4 centred arched doorways with carved spandrels. Oak
seats in courtyard corners. Rainwater heads 1784. VCH, VIII, pp.136-7.
Listing NGR: SP3339978822
Other nearby listed buildings