This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.597 / 52°35'49"N
Longitude: -1.9649 / 1°57'53"W
OS Eastings: 402473
OS Northings: 299908
OS Grid: SP024999
Mapcode National: GBR 3D9.222
Mapcode Global: WHBFV.SZJG
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 31 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219098
Location: Walsall, WS4
Electoral Ward/Division: St Matthew's
Built-Up Area: Walsall
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Rushall St Michael The Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WALSALL MB LEIGH ROAD (off)
SP 09 NW
Church of St Michael
Church. 1856, on older site, by James Cranston. Lengthened, and south-west
tower with spire added, 1867-8. Limestone, with rubble walls and steep tile
roofs. Comprises a nave, north and south transepts, lower chancel, and north
vestry. The tower has angle buttresses, and a central buttress above the
lowest stage, which is set forward. To each side of this buttress there is
a one-light opening to both,upper stages. The broach spire has red sandstone
bands, and lucarnes with detached square shafts. The west door is moulded
with pointed arch and angle shafts. The west window of the nave has Geometrical
tracery and is of four lights. The nave windows are of paired trefoiled lights.
On the south side the nave if of three bays separated by buttresses. On the
north it is of four bays, with a further one-light window to the east. In the
angle with the transept is a stair turret. The north wall of the transept has
three trefoiled lights. Above them is a 2-light window with Geometrical tracery.
The lower part of the south transept is now covered by a gabled porch and late
C20 extension. The chancel east window is of three trefoiled lights with
Geometrical tracery. Interior: nave roof trusses have curved braces rising
to collars. At the crossing two trusses intersect diagonally to form a
skeleton vault. The chancel arch is narrower than the nave: it is pointed
and moulded in two orders. A fresco, painted in 1905, covers the east wall
of the transept. Windows contain some late C19 and early C20 glass.
Listing NGR: SP0247399908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings