This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4297 / 52°25'46"N
Longitude: -1.9368 / 1°56'12"W
OS Eastings: 404391
OS Northings: 281305
OS Grid: SP043813
Mapcode National: GBR 5RV.7W
Mapcode Global: VH9Z8.C6Y6
Entry Name: Bournville Junior School
Listing Date: 21 January 1970
Last Amended: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217371
Location: Birmingham, B30
Electoral Ward/Division: Bournville
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Bournville
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
Bournville Junior School
[formerly listed as
Bournville Junior and
Infants School (The
SP Q481 SW 55/5 21.1.70
1902-5, by W Alexander Harvey. Red brick with stone dressings; slate roof, On the
left a big square entrance tower. Pointed arched doorway approached up steps. Its
bold keystone carries an oriel window with carved base and pointed stone roof.
Above and to the left of this a clock. The tower is surmounted by a cupola dating
in its present form from 1934 and containing 48 bells. The cupola consists of 8
slender copper-clad columns supporting a shallow ogee copper roof. On the left
return of the tower, another pointed arched doorway approached up steps and a
polygonal staircase turret with traceried window below its stone roof. To the
right of the entrance tower and set back from it, the central hall lit by dormer
windows in the roof and terminating on the right in a gable surmounted by a stone
louvered structure. From in front of this hall project the lower gabled classrooms,
3 of them, then, slightly advanced, a pointed arched doorway in a stone wall and a
fourth gabled classroom. Inside, the roof of the hall rises from lance curved braces
and there are frescoes of 1914 by Mary Sargant Florence and Mary Creighton McDowall.
The carving throughout is by Bengamin Creswick.
Listing NGR: SP0439181305
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings