History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bordesley Green, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4683 / 52°28'6"N

Longitude: -1.8517 / 1°51'6"W

OS Eastings: 410169

OS Northings: 285610

OS Grid: SP101856

Mapcode National: GBR 6CF.21

Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.V7F3

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 21 January 1970

Last Amended: 21 October 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1343113

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217563

Location: Birmingham, B10

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Bordesley Green

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Small Heath

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

ST OSWALD'S ROAD
1.
Small Heath B10
5104
Church of St Oswald
SP 18 NW 8/15 21.1.70
II*
2.
Begun in 1892, the west front added in 1899. By W H Bidlake, Architect.
A fine red brick, stone dressed church with lofty clerestoreyed nave, 4 shallow
aisles, transepts and chancel with flat east end. Steep tiled roofs. Bellcot
behind west gables. West front is principal feature with flat 2-centred arch
west window in a Decorated style, with blind tracery panels flanking head
and below sill, the whole framed by corner buttresses gabled and capped by
octagonal stone spired pinnacles flanking the stone main gable with canopied
nichetor saint and cross finial. The ground floor level is blind apart from
2 lancets and the west doors are set in cross wings under 2 centred arches
of 3 shafted orders. Four bay nave arcade. Large, elaborated wooden altarpiece
incorporating a painting of the Crucifixion by S Meteyard, 1916.

Listing NGR: SP1016985610

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.