History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stourbridge College of Art

A Grade II Listed Building in Wollaston and Stourbridge Town, Dudley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4543 / 52°27'15"N

Longitude: -2.143 / 2°8'34"W

OS Eastings: 390381

OS Northings: 284050

OS Grid: SO903840

Mapcode National: GBR 1C4.50M

Mapcode Global: VH91H.SKYW

Entry Name: Stourbridge College of Art

Listing Date: 19 April 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1343199

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217880

Location: Dudley, DY8

County: Dudley

Electoral Ward/Division: Wollaston and Stourbridge Town

Built-Up Area: Stourbridge

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Stourbridge St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stourbridge

Listing Text

HAGLEY ROAD
1.
5106
SO 9084 1/103 Stourbridge College
of Art
GV
II
2.
College of Art, formerly town library and technical college. 1903-4 and 1908-9 by
Frederick Woodward. Red brick with terracotta dressings and Cumberland and Welsh slate
roofs with various brick stacks. In Netherlandish Renaissance style. Complex plan
with various ranges occupying corner site. Mostly of 3 storeys, basement and attic.
Entrance to corner on right has elaborate terracotta archway surmounted by relief figures
within a tympanum. Steps lead to part-glazed doors filled with elaborate stained glass
including portrait roundels of Kelvin, Shakespeare, Rubens and Mozart. Tall basket-
arched windows over, with moulded terracotta frames and ornamental cornice hoods.
Coped Dutch gable. To right a canted battlemented section containing the staircase
with similar elaborately ornamented window frames. Further to right, facing Hagley
Road, a 2-storey range in similar style. On right an elaborate terracotta archway
leading to door, and a clock tower over with clock faces within balconied arches and a
domed open belvedere on top. Behind this section rises the second span of the range facing
Church Street. Wide sash windows, some with terracotta decoration. On the roof ridge
an elaborate domed lantern. To left of the front entrance the end of the range facing
Church Street which has a large polygonal 2-storey bay with battlemented parapet and
large arched window over. To left the front facing Church Street which is a 9-window
range with 4 slightly projecting gabled sections and similar fenestration with elaborate
terracotta window surrounds. Further doorway in 2nd gable from left. 2 elaborate
domed lanterns on roof. Interior: glazed doors and partitions, staircase with
decorative cast-iron balustrade and a fine and extensive series of stained glass windows
in art-nouveau style, one signed S Evans, Stained Glass Works, West Smethwick. These
are most elaborate on the stairs but continue on both the Hagley Road and Church Street
fronts and are a very important feature of the building. Andrew Carnegie contributed
£3,000 to the library's foundation and a further £700 to the 1908 newsroom extension.


Listing NGR: SO9038184050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.