History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton, St. Helens

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.456 / 53°27'21"N

Longitude: -2.6144 / 2°36'51"W

OS Eastings: 359300

OS Northings: 395643

OS Grid: SJ593956

Mapcode National: GBR BX5G.SV

Mapcode Global: WH98B.TD7F

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 3 February 1966

Last Amended: 23 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1343245

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216316

Location: St. Helens, WA12

County: St. Helens

Electoral Ward/Division: Newton

Built-Up Area: Newton-le-Willows

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Newton-in-Makerfield St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Lowton

Listing Text

SJ 59 NE NEWTON-LE-WILLOWS CHURCH STREET
(east side)

5/26 Church of
3.2.66 Saint Peter
(Formerly listed under General)
G.V. II

Church. 1892-1901. By Demaine and Brierley. Stone with slate
roofs. Single vessel nave and chancel, lean-to aisles, west
tower with north and south porches, south chapel and north
organ loft and vestry. Free Perpendicular style. 5-bay nave;
aisles with parapets and elliptical-headed windows of 3
lights; 2-light straight-headed clerestory windows. West
tower has west entrance with 5-light window. Paired straight-
headed bell-openings with tracery heads. Embattled parapet.
Chancel has 7-light east window flanked by clasping
buttresses. Interior: arcades have octagonal piers; arch
braced collar roof. Parclose screens to organ loft and
chapel; painted reredos. Alabaster octagonal pulpit with
figures under canopies. Stained glass east and west windows.
Gravestone of P. Naylor, engine driver, 1842, J. Eeles of
Hull, Locomotive in relief and poem, formerly in graveyard.
Hatchment of Col. T.R. Legh, 1797. C18 wrought iron altar
rail.


Listing NGR: SJ5930095643

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.