History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Birchley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Billinge Chapel End, St. Helens

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4929 / 53°29'34"N

Longitude: -2.7186 / 2°43'7"W

OS Eastings: 352419

OS Northings: 399817

OS Grid: SJ524998

Mapcode National: GBR 9XG1.6M

Mapcode Global: WH86Z.6GNM

Entry Name: Birchley Hall

Listing Date: 23 August 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1343273

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216300

Location: Billinge Chapel End, St. Helens, WN5

County: St. Helens

Civil Parish: Billinge Chapel End

Built-Up Area: Billinge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Billinge St Aidan

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Upholland

Listing Text

SJ 59 NW BILLINGE CHAPEL END BIRCHLEY ROAD
(west side)
4/10 Birchley Hall
23.8.66

- II*

House, now Sue Ryder Memorial Home. 1594 for James
Anderton. South wing, 1618 for James or Christopher
Anderton. Stone with stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 bays,
all with gables, 2nd and 4th bays project, end bays project
further. Gables are coped with kneelers. Most windows have
ovolo mullions and label moulds and are of 3 and 4 lights.
End bay windows and ground floor window of central bay
replaced by C18 windows which are sashed with glazing bars.
Entrance to 4th bay has Tudor head. Blocked entrance to 1st
floor of 2nd bay with inserted window. South chapel wing
has varied fenestration with some hollow-chamfered mullions
to ground floor windows. External stair on brick arches to
2nd floor inserted entrance in 1st bay. Interior: remains
of priest's hole and secret cupboard, 1st floor stair has
turned balusters. Some Tudor arched door heads. C18
fireplace in 1st floor room. A secret printing press
operated in the house c.1647, the 1st post-Reformation
Catholic press in England.


Listing NGR: SJ5241999817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.