History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Lydiate, Sefton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5443 / 53°32'39"N

Longitude: -2.9624 / 2°57'44"W

OS Eastings: 336326

OS Northings: 405728

OS Grid: SD363057

Mapcode National: GBR 7WRG.G5

Mapcode Global: WH86N.G5KP

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 11 October 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1343291

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216484

Location: Lydiate, Sefton, L31

County: Sefton

Civil Parish: Lydiate

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Lydiate and Downholland, Saint Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Maghull

Listing Text

LYDIATE CHURCH LANE
SD 30 NE
(north side)
4/85 Church of
11.10.68 St. Thomas
G.V. II
Church. 1839-41 with chancel of 1913. Probably S. Holmes
and Sons. Stone with slate roof, east part of dressed stone
with ashlar bands and dressings. Nave, west tower, chancel,
north vestry and organ loft and south chapel. 4-bay nave
has sill course in form of dripmould and coped gables.
Lancet windows with chamfered reveals and hood moulds.
Leaded glazing with some stained glass windows. West tower
has pointed entrances to west and south with hoodmoulds;
north lancet. Blind crosses above. Top stage has sill
course, cornice and weathered parapet and pinnacles.
Lancets have central stone panel with quatrefoil, leaded
glazing below and louvres above; south side has clock face
above stone panel. Chancel has gabled angle buttresses and
3-light east window with early Perpendicular tracery.
Similar 2-light south window and two 2-light clerestory
windows over chapel, which has two 2-light windows and
similar east window. North vestry has north and east
windows of 3 elliptical-headed lights. Organ loft has 2-
light north window. Large gabled buttress with fragmentary
wall to left at south east angle of nave and fragmentary
wall to west of organ loft suggest rebuilding plans.
Interior: Deep west gallery on 2 octagonal iron columns;
open-well stair in tower. Flat nave ceiling with tie beams,
chancel has waggon roof. Chancel arch dies into octagonal
piers; flanking segmental arches. Springers for projected
nave arcades and rubble with projecting stones above. 2-bay
segmental-headed arcade to chapel, arches dying into pier
and responds, similar pointed arch to organ loft. Chancel
has recess for sedilia and high reredos with alabaster
relief panels.


Listing NGR: SD3632605728

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.