This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5396 / 53°32'22"N
Longitude: -2.9599 / 2°57'35"W
OS Eastings: 336480
OS Northings: 405204
OS Grid: SD364052
Mapcode National: GBR 7WRH.ZW
Mapcode Global: WH86N.H9Q9
Entry Name: Church of Our Lady
Listing Date: 17 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343313
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216491
Location: Lydiate, Sefton, L31
Civil Parish: Lydiate
Built-Up Area: Maghull
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Lydiate and Downholland, Saint Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
LYDIATE SOUTHPORT ROAD
SD 30 NE
4/92 Church of
Catholic church. 1854-5. By J.J. Scoles. Reredos
erected in 1878. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings;
slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, north
west tower, south porch and vestry, and chancel. 4-bay
aisles have 2-light windows with early Perpendicular tracery
between weathered buttresses; end diagonal buttresses.
South porch is gabled, entrance with continuous mouldings
and niche above. West end on moulded plinth. West window
of 2 lights with quatrefoil above. Tower has 3 stages,
north door; 2nd stage has cusped lancets, top stage
recessed, with 2-light louvred bell openings, cornice,
embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles. Chancel has
moulded plinth, 3-light reticulated east window between
diagonal buttresses; quatrefoil above. To north, 2 windows
of 2 lights. To south, vestry with gable-end stacks and
canted projection in western angle. Interior has arcades on
octagonal piers. Roof has scissor-brace trussess. Chancel
arch with statues to either side. Alabaster chancel rail;
pulpit at north end incoporates C15 figure of a bishop.
Elaborate reredos with relief scenes and canopied figures,
altar moved forward. Flanking cusped ogee-arched recesses.
Piscina with double ogee arch. North aisle altar has
quatrefoil opening revealing sculptured entombment, and
reredos. West gallery and baptistry to south with C15
alabaster reliefs of life of St. Katherine and visitation
taken from St. Katherine's chapel (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SD3648005204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings