History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, Church Road B15

A Grade II Listed Building in Edgbaston, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4666 / 52°27'59"N

Longitude: -1.9217 / 1°55'17"W

OS Eastings: 405418

OS Northings: 285409

OS Grid: SP054854

Mapcode National: GBR 5VF.LN

Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.M8YF

Entry Name: 4, Church Road B15

Listing Date: 8 July 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1343358

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216908

Location: Birmingham, B15

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Edgbaston

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St George with St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

CHURCH ROAD
1.
5104
Edgbaston B15
No 4
SF 0585 SW 44/1
II GV
2.
Part of the Birmingham School for the Deaf. Circa 1815 one of the earliest
Calthorpe Estate villas added to circa 1860. Stucco; slate roof. Two storeys;
3 bays. Rusticated ground floor with 2 window in ball shallow round-arched
recesses and a central porch with coupled Roman Doric columns, triglyph frieze
and modillion cornice. First floor windows plain sashes (the centre one altered)
sitting on a moulded stringcourse. Glazing bars throughout. Moulded eaves
cornice and low parapet. To the left, a 2-storeyed full-height service wing
of circa 1860 with irregular fenestration, the same stringcourse and overhanging
eaves. To the right, a single-storey link to the 2-storeyed former coach
house. Tripartite window in place of the entrance, moulded stringcourse (partly
gone) and Venetian 1st floor window in broken pediment. Rear of main house
with two 2-storeyed bow windows on a high basement with continuous cast-iron
verandah of slim shafts with scroll brackets supporting openwork girders and
ogee roof. Modern additions not included in the listing.

Listing NGR: SP0541885409

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.