This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3969 / 52°23'48"N
Longitude: -0.9889 / 0°59'20"W
OS Eastings: 468892
OS Northings: 278133
OS Grid: SP688781
Mapcode National: GBR 9RW.NSV
Mapcode Global: VHDRB.T01W
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360410
Location: Naseby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Naseby
Built-Up Area: Naseby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Naseby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
NASEBY CHURCH STREET
SP67NE (East side)
5/157 Church of All Saints
Church. Early C13, C18 and C19. Coursed lias rubble and lias ashlar with slate
roof. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel of one-window range of
2-light windows. East window, 3 lights with intersecting tracery. Gabled roof.
South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with reticulated tracery.
Lean-to roof with simple ashlar cornice and gable parapets. Gabled porch between
windows one and 2 from left has C14 double chamfered arch with corbels. North
aisle similar of 3-window range. Gabled porch between windows one and 2 from
right has ashlar gable parapets with finial and 2 corbels, probably reset. Nave
clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square headed windows, gabled roof with
simple ashlar cornice, gable parapet and finial. West tower probably C14,
originally ashlar. Pairs of 2-light bell chamber openings with transoms to each
face of upper stage. Clock immediately below on west face has moulded stone
surround. Castellated ashlar parapet. Recessed spire by W. Slater 1859-60 in
limestone ashlar has 3 tiers of lucarnes and crockets. Interior: Double
chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade of 4 bays of double chamfered pointed
arches. 3 bays of south arcade are early C13 with quatrefoil piers and stiff
leaf capitals with faces between leaves. North arcade is C14 with quatrefoil
piers and double chamfered arches; the lower section of the piers has been
replaced by a large plinth probably in C18, C19 roofs. Stained glass, south
chancel 1872 by Lavers, Barraund and Westlake. Bellfry window by Clayton and
Bell. Stained glass, also in south aisle. Monuments: Brass west end of north
aisle, reset. John 01yver died 1446 and wife. Brass inscription and 2 indents
opposite. Oval tablet above to Reverend John Mastic died 1805, East end of north
aisle tablet with drapery to Richard Herbert died 1790. C17 table known as
Cromwells table; reputedly from the now demolished Shukburgh House as used by
the Kings Life Guards before the Battle of Naseby. Large copper ball in north
aisle, reputedly holding 60 gallons of ale was brought from Boulogne in 1544 and
was taken from stump of spire in 1780. Font, circular late C12, blank arcading
with flower decoration. Stone coffin lid in belfry with traces of
decoration,(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p. 309).
Listing NGR: SP6889278133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings