This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2137 / 52°12'49"N
Longitude: -1.0663 / 1°3'58"W
OS Eastings: 463890
OS Northings: 257684
OS Grid: SP638576
Mapcode National: GBR 9V3.18Q
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.GMNC
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343558
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360609
Location: Stowe IX Churches, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Stowe IX Churches
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Stowe-Nine-Churches St Michael with St James
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
STOWE NINE CHURCHES CHURCH STOWE
6/119 Church of St. Michael
Church. Saxon west tower, body of the church rebuilt c.1639, and again in 1859,
by Philip Hardwick. Coursed squared limestone with ironstone dressings, some
brick. Roofs mainly tiled, rest of lead. Chancel, nave, north and south nave and
chancel aisles, north chancel vestry, south porch, west tower. East windows to
vestry and chancel have 3 lights and Decorated style tracery, rest 2 and 3-light
mullion windows with hood moulds. Crenellated parapets to nave and chancel,
plain to aisles. North door has round arch and imposts. Early English south door
with nailhead hood mould in gabled porch; south aisle extends across south side
of west tower. Saxon west tower of 3 stages, plastered rubble, with medieval
battlements. Ground floor has blocked square-headed door with jambs laid
alternately upright and flat, partially blocked square-headed window with hood
mould above; carved stone, probably part of a cross-shaft incorporated in
north-west angle. First floor has original double-splayed round-headed west
window; datestone inscribed 1776 below, possibly recording date of strengthening
of tower with 2 iron bands. String course to belfry stage cut by 2-light
medieval windows; pilaster strips to west and east side of latter windows.
Interior: chancel with Jacobean reredos. 2 bay arcades to north and south
aisles, nave arcades of 3 bays. Scissor-braced roofs to nave and chancel. Lady
chapel in south chancel aisle has Jacobean screenwork with small niches on
balusters, formerly part of screen between nave and chancel. Fine C13 and early
C17 chest tombs with effigies, the latter by Nicholas Stone, C17, C18 and C19
wall monuments and ambitious wall monument to Thomas Turner who died 1714, with
life-sized figures of deceased and "Christian Faith'.
(Buildings of England, Northants, 1973. H.M. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture,
Vol. II, p.594, 1965).
Listing NGR: SP6389057684
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings