History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Belmont, with Stable Courtyard and Pump

A Grade I Listed Building in Throwley, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2718 / 51°16'18"N

Longitude: 0.8456 / 0°50'43"E

OS Eastings: 598586

OS Northings: 156362

OS Grid: TQ985563

Mapcode National: GBR RV9.BKL

Mapcode Global: VHKK1.L9WD

Entry Name: Belmont, with Stable Courtyard and Pump

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1343978

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176562

Location: Throwley, Swale, Kent, ME13

County: Kent

District: Swale

Civil Parish: Throwley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Newnham

Listing Text

The description for:-

TQ 95 N THROWLEY BELMONT

4/156 Belmont, with stable
courtyard and pump
24.1.67

GV I

should be amended to read:-

House, courtyard and water pump. First house built 1769 for Edward Wilkes, store-
keeper of Royal Powder Mills, Faversham. Remodelled and extended c.1787-1792.
Unsigned drawings for the rebuilding of Belmont appear to be from the office of
Samuel Wyatt and it is possible that the owner Colonel Montresor, a retired
engineer with the British Army in North America may have designed the house but
engaged Samuel Wyatt as his architectural advisor. Interior work by Basil Ionides.
1930s. Red brick, the main elevations of the house faced with buff-coloured gauged
mathematical tiles, with Coade-stone and ashlar details. Slated roofs. The house
is placed asymmetrically at the south and south-west corner of the stable courtyard
and the internal arrangements set asymmetrically to an axial corridor. Neo-
classical styling. Entrance (south front): 2 storeys and attic on plinth with
guilloche plat band and modillion eaves cornice to hipped roof. 3 glazing bar
sashes on first floor, and 3 tripartite french windows, only the left end one
genuine and the main entrance to the house. Set with a verandah of 3 bays on Ionic
columns coupled to centre (with Coade-stone capitals), with G full height glazing
bar sashes, separated by Doric pilasters, with cornice. Gauged niches to left and
right with Coade-stoneswags on plaque over them, one dated 1790. Kitchen buildings
in red brick beyond. East front (the display front): 2 storeys and attic on plinths
with guilloched plat band and modillion eaves cornice. Two projecting bows left
and right with saucer domes and belvederes. 3 glazing bar sashes on each floor
in each bow, and 3 on each floor in centre. Over each window a Coade-stone plaque
or medallion with swags, putti and emblems of the seasons. The central plaque
depicts a figure of India on an artillery bastion studying plans of Belmont, an
elevation of which appears in the background amongst palm trees. North front: as
entrance front, but with 4 bay verandah of single columns, and bowed projection
with tripartite "Wyatt" window, the cast iron balustrade carried across. Single
storey range extends to north part of the courtyard, but also containing rooms for
the main house. Stable courtyard: of chequered brick and slate to north of house,
containing part of surviving 1769 house to south. 2 storeys on plinth with moulded
cornice, 5 glazing bar sashes on first floor, 4 on ground floor with central boarded
door, with flat hood on pilaster surround. Stables with elliptically arched door-
ways and sidelights, echoing the Wyatt window motif of the main house. Coach-house
with clock tower and cupola, dated 1792. Entrance to courtyard flanked by octagonal
lodges in buff brick, with gauged niches, 1 glazing bar sash to entrance, and
panelled door to courtyard. Hand pump attached to west range of courtyard, with
wooden box-body, and leaded spout dated 1790, curved handle with knop, and iron
water trough. Interior: entrance vestibule, staircase hall and corridor form axis
of house. Full height top-lit staircase, with first floor balcony, and second floor
balcony reached only from back stairs. Cast iron balustrade. Shallow well niches
on the walls enhance the use of the stairhallas a gallery. Screen to upstairs
corridor of 2 Ionic columns, in antis with elliptical arch over,and identical blank
screen on the opposite wall. This, with simplified details, along with the
apse, forms the decorative motif for the whole interior. Main rooms to east of
central axis, with drawing room and library occupying the bows of the east
front, and internally with apsidal walls, with central dining room. Library
with fitted veneered bookcases, again in "Wyatt window" configuration, gilded
cornice and moulded frieze, with medallions and plaques on the wallpaper
frieze. Spare decorative details elsewhere, light architraves and frieze, wall
panelling, marble fire surrounds. Fitted shutters and pierglasses to bowed
windows, and fitted wall niches in bedrooms. Study, office and billiard room
isolated from main range along east wing of courtyard. Service rooms complete;
half-glazed roof on orangery, again with apsidal end walls. Orangery and
service wing with series of fine vaulted cellars, ascribed to 1769 house, but
quality of design and workmanship is more akin to the Wyatt house. Below the
main house runs an original hypocaust central heating system, stoked externally
on the north front of the main house. (See Country Life, Jan 27 and Feb 3,
1955; see also BOE, Kent II, 1983, 138-9).

------------------------------------

TQ 95 NE THROWLEY BELMONT

4/156 Belmont,
with Stable
24.1.67 Courtyard
and Pump

GV I

House, courtyard and water pump. First house built 1769 for
Edward Wilkes, Storekeeper of Royal Powder Mills, Faversham.
Remodelled and extended c.1787-1792 by Samuel Wyatt for
General Lord Harris. Interior work by Basil Ionides, 1930s.
Red brick, the main elevations of the house faced with buff-
coloured gauged mathematical tiles, with Coade-stone and
ashlar details. Slated roofs. The house is placed asymmetrically
at the south and south-east corner of the stable courtyard and
the internal arrangements set asymmetrically to an axial
corridor. Neo-classical styling. Entrance (south front): 2 storeys
and attic on plinth with guilloche plat band and modillion eaves
cornice to hipped roof. Three glazing bar sashes on first floor,
and 3 tripartite french windows, only the left end one genuine
and the main entrance to the house. Set with a verandah of 3
bays on Ionic columns coupled to centre [with Coade-stone capitals),
with 6 full height glazing bar sashes, separated by Doric pilasters,
with cornice. Gauged niches to left and right with Coade-stone
swags on plaques over them, one dated 1790. Kitchen buildings in
red brick beyond. East front (the display front): 2 storeys and
attic on plinths with guilloched plat band and modillion eaves
cornice. Two projecting bows left and right with saucer domes
and belvederes. Three glazing bar sashes on each floor in each
bow, and 3 on each floor in centre. Over each window a Coade-stone
plaque or medallion with swags, putti and emblems of the seasons.
The central plaque depicts a figure of India on an artillery
bastion studying plans of Belmont, an elevation of which appears
in the background amongst palm trees. North front: as entrance
front, but with 4 bay verandah of single columns, and bowed
projection with tripartite "Wyatt" window, the cast iron balustrade
carried across. Single storey range extends to north part of
the courtyard, but also containing rooms for the main house. Stable
courtyard: of chequered brick and slate to north of house,
containing part of surviving 1769 house to south. 2 storeys on
plinth with moulded cornice, 5 glazing bar sashes on first floor,
4 on ground floor with central boarded door, with flat hood on
pilaster surround. Stables with elliptically arched doorways and
sidelights, echoing the Wyatt window motif of the main house.
Coach house with clock tower and cupola, dated 1792. Entrance
to courtyard flanked by octagonal lodges in buff brick, with
gauged niches, 1 glazing bar sash to entrance, and panelled door
to courtyard. Hand pump attached to west range of courtyard, with
wooden box body, and leaded spout dated 1790, curved handle with
knop, and iron water trough. Interior: entrance vestibule, staircase
hall and corridor form axis of house. Full height top-lit stair-
case, with first floor balcony, and second floor balcony reached
only from back stairs. Cast iron balustrade. Shallow well niches
on the walls enhance the use of the stairhall as a gallery. Screen
to upstairs corridor of 2 Ionic columns, in antis with elliptical
arch over, and identical blank screen on opposite wall. This,
with simplified details, along with the apse, forms the
decorative motif for the whole interior. Main rooms to east
of central axis, with drawing room and library occupying the
bows of the east front, and internally with apsidal walls,
with central dining room. Library with fitted veneered book-
cases, again in "Wyatt window" configuration, gilded cornice
and moulded frieze, with medallions and plaques on the wall-
paper frieze. Spare decorative details elsewhere, light
architraves and frieze, wall panelling, marble fire surrounds.
Fitted shutters and pierglasses to bowed windows, and fitted
wall niches in bedrooms. Study, office and billiard room
isolated from main range along east wing of courtyard.
Service rooms complete; half-glazed roof on orangery, again with
apsidal end walls. Orangery and service wing with series of
fine vaulted cellars, ascribed to 1769 house, but quality of
design and workmanship is more akin to the Wyatt house. Below
the main house runs an original hypocaust central heating system,
stoked externally on the north front of the main house. (See
Country Life, Jan 27 and Feb 3, 1955; see also BOE, Kent II,
1983, 138-9)


Listing NGR: TQ9858656362

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.