History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

French House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lympne, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0728 / 51°4'22"N

Longitude: 1.0139 / 1°0'49"E

OS Eastings: 611232

OS Northings: 134709

OS Grid: TR112347

Mapcode National: GBR SZ5.R4W

Mapcode Global: FRA F608.W8Y

Entry Name: French House

Listing Date: 29 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 175581

Location: Lympne, Shepway, Kent, CT21

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Civil Parish: Lympne

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Lympne

Listing Text


TR 13 SW LYMPNE ALDINGTON ROAD
(South Side)

6/5 French House
29.12.66
II*

House. C15 or early C16. Restored circa 1930 by H. Charlton Bradshaw
for Sir Philip Sassoon. Further restoration 1953 and 1985. Timber
framed, with rendered infilling. Plain tile roof. Wealden, with two
roughly equal-length hall bays and storeyed end bays. 2 storeys, on
stone plinth. Broadly-spaced close-studding. Tension braces to first
floor of left end bay. Arch braces to flying wall-plate. Later brace
to central tie-beams. Left end bay jettied to front, to gable end and
to rear on moulded dragon posts. Right end bay jettied to front and
gable end on plain dragon post. Hipped roof. Multiple brick ridge
stack to junction of hall and left end bay. Projecting stone stack, with
brick dressings and diagonally-set brick flues, to right gable end.
Irregular fenestration of 3 leaded casements; one 4-light wood mullion
window to left end bay, one broad 2-light window to left hall bay (above
a 3-light ground-floor metal casement), and one 2-light casement to right
end bay. Leaded French doors with 4-centred-arched wooden architrave to
right end of right hall bay. Ribbed door with similar architrave to rear
of left end of left hall bay. Long rear wing to right of circa 1930,
with stone ground floor, timber framed first flour and plain tile roof.
Interior not inspected. Said to have slipped several feet during landslide
in 1730s.


Listing NGR: TR1123234709

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.