This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0224 / 51°1'20"N
Longitude: -3.0355 / 3°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 327467
OS Northings: 125289
OS Grid: ST274252
Mapcode National: GBR M4.HSY0
Mapcode Global: FRA 46JD.WS6
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270578
Location: Creech St. Michael, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Creech St. Michael
Built-Up Area: Creech St Michael
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST22NE CREECH ST MICHAEL CP BULL STREET (North side)
6/68 Church of St michael
Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, late C13 tower and North chapel, circa 1300 South chapel, rest C15 Perpendicular,
slightly altered 1825, restored and vestry added 1868. Random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges.
4 bay nave, chancel, North East vestry, North chapel, North tower, 2 bay North aisle, South chapel and South porch.
Crenellated 4-stage tower, string courses, trefoil headed 2-light louvred bell openings, 3-light below obscured by
clock face, 2-light above ribbed North door, projecting 2-stage crenellated tower entered at first floor via external
flight of steps; 3-light windows to North aisle and at gabled West end, 4-light in gabled West end to nave above
pointed arch West door with rectangular hood mould, flanked by niches said to contain the figures of St. Michael and
the Crucifixion, 3-light window in South wall of nave, gabled unbuttressed porch with unmoulded semi-circular headed
opening, niche above, C19 wagon roof, remains of canopied niche in East wall, pointed arch chamfered inner doorway with
C16 ribbed door. Porch abuts chapel to East, South wall splaying out and supported by wooden props at time of sunvey
(March 1984), 3-light mullioned window with single-light above, both under hoodmoulds, 3-light window on East wall, 2-
and 3-light in chancel flanking priest's door, diagonal buttress, 3-light East window, door on West front, 3-light
window to North chapel. Interior: white- washed. Remains of C17-C18 wall paintings in spandrels of North and South
nave walls. Very large semi-circular Perpendicular chancel arch, tower arches to North chapel and nave chamfered in 2
orders, pointed moulded tower arch to North aisle, arch between nave and chapel also chamfered in 2 orders. Gilded
open wagon roof to chancel without wallplate, nave open wagon roof with bosses and wallplate, similar in North chapel,
remains of compartment ceiling in tower, flat roof to aisle, shallow plaster wagon roof to South chapel. Arches of
tower grouped in threes linked by rope-like bases, 2 bay Perpendicular arcade with rosette capitals to North aisle.
Rood loft door in East wall of North chapel, originally external wall, passage cut in nave wall above arch with 3
square openings and cyma recta corbel, 3-light cinquefoil headed window in East wall to vestry, niche cut in splayed
jamb of similar window in North wall to left of table tomb without effigy, to Robert Cuff died 1593/7. Aumbry in
chancel; crocketed niche in jamb of North aisle pier; West end wooden gallery with raised and fielded-panels, carved
swags of fruit, originally painted, approached by flight of steps set against West wall of North aisle. South chapel;
piscina and remains of plasterwork decoration of circa 1700. 2 Royal Coats of Arms, one dated 1636. Good pedimented
wall tablet to John Keyt died 1732, fine slate slab to James Trivell died 1728, collection of C17 floor slabs;
hatchments. Low-panelled chancel screen. Perpendicular font. Reading desk dated 1634. Early C17 pulpit. C16 bench
ends in chancel, The North aisle belonged to the Court Barton (qv) estate until the C20. 'An uncommonly interesting
church' Pevsner. (Photographs in NMR; Kellys Directory 1897; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset,
Listing NGR: ST2746425290
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings