This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9837 / 50°59'1"N
Longitude: -3.1452 / 3°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 319706
OS Northings: 121102
OS Grid: ST197211
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.L90Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 469H.VYK
Entry Name: Hamwood Farmhouse and Wall Abutting North Corner with Gatepiers and Gate
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270716
Location: Trull, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Trull
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
STI2SE TRULL CP HAMNOOD LANE
Hamwood Farmhouse and wall
8/160 abutting North corner with
gatepiers and gate
Farmhouse and boundary wall to garden abutting North corner with gatepier, and gate. C17, restored late C20. Red brick
English bond, rubble plinth, Ham stone dressings, striping to porch, slate roofs, overhanging eaves and bargeboarded
gable front right, soffit on right return, stone stack left gable end and right on centre of crosswing. L-plan: full
height porch and stair turret combined fronting 2 cell cross passage with 2 cell with back to back fireplace on North
East front. Two storeys, 1:1:1 bays right bay gabled C17 3-light ovolo moulded mullioned ashlar windows under hood
moulds, 2-light porch cutting string course with finely carved coat of arts to left above 4-centred arch moulded door
frames, C19 half-glazed double doors. Right return 1.2 bays with small light between, presumably to stair. Rear
elevation moulded 4-centred arch head door frame, C17 4 x 5 panelled door to cross passage, similar 4-centred arch head
door frame to doorway on axis to courtyard at rear. Interior: not sighted. Said to contain 'very fine' East gable end
fireplace with 4-centred head moulded lintel, spandrels carved with herring bone pattern. A rare example of a C17 brick
house, basically unaltered. It is thought that the coat of arts are those of John Baker of Hamwood, died 1677, to whom
there is a memorial in the Church of All Saints, Trull (qv). (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, May 1974; SANHS Proceeding,
Vol 120, 1976).
Listing NGR: ST1970621102
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings