This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0255 / 51°1'31"N
Longitude: -2.9717 / 2°58'18"W
OS Eastings: 331947
OS Northings: 125569
OS Grid: ST319255
Mapcode National: GBR M6.HQY4
Mapcode Global: FRA 46ND.Q2X
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344525
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270820
Location: North Curry, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: North Curry
Built-Up Area: North Curry
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
NORTH CURRY CP CHURCH ROAD (North side)
10/36 Church of Saint Peter and St Paul
Parish church. Norman in origin, c1300 lower stages of tower, transepts and nave, C14 upper stage of tower, 1502
chancel rebuilt, porch added and walls of clerestory raised, minor restoration including parapet to tower 1832 by
Richard Carver, 1881-2 north aisle wall and door taken down and re-built, render removed, vestry added, by John Oldrid
Scott, parapets partly renewed and chancel reroofed 1967-8. Tower local grey sandstone, rest blue lias squared and
coursed with some rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs behind pierced quatrefoil parapets, crenellated aisles and
blind trefoil headed arcade to south transepts, chancel and north-east vestry. Buttressed west end, 3-light windows to
aisles flanking 5-light west window, moulded arched west door, south aisle two 3-light windows left and one right of
single storey, diagonally buttressed porch, quatrefoil pierced parapet, gargoyles, 3 crocketed niches containing late
C19 figures by Harry Hems, deeply moulded surround to pointed arch opening, fan vaulted stone roof with pendant,
moulded 4-centred arch doorway, C19 door with good decorative hinges, remains of 4-centred arch recess and pillar for
holy water stoup; setback buttresses to south transept, 5-light window, crocketed niche left, 4-light window on east
front, stair turret set in angle, arched doorway, lancet above two 4-light windows to chancel, set back buttresses to
east end, 5-light window, 2-light to vestry, two 2-light on north front, door in south-west corner, 4-light window to
chancel and to east face of north transept, 5-light north front, three 3-light to north aisle, buttresses between and
resited Norman doorway; octagonal one stage tower with crude pierced parapet, 2-light louvred bell-openings, cusped
mullions and transoms, panel pilasters with gargoyles between, clock on south front. Interior: exposed squared and
coursed blue lias. Four bay moulded arched arcades without capitals, banded blocks of Has, local sandstone and lias,
remains of blocked ogee-headed 2-light clearstorey window, three 3-light windows to clearstorey, crossing arches
chamfered in three orders, black marble linked bell capitals to chancel arch, stone seats to nave arch piers. Late C19
roofs, cambered compartment ceiling to north aisle, corbelled collar beam roof with arched struts to chancel, wooden
fanvault to tower. Cinquefoil headed piscina in north transept, south transept chamfered 4-centre arch doorway to rood
stair, similar opening above. C19 pews. 1920s-1930s linenfold panelling with decorative carved cornice to chancel,
finely carved altar rails, reredos by Bligh Bond. Brass lectern presented 1888 by the Barrett family of Noredon who
paid for much of the Scott restoration. 1882 stone pulpit. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass by Burlesson and
Grylls, and Heaton, Butler and Baine. C12 wooden coffer. Brass chandelier dated 1809 and signed by Wescott of Bristol.
Monumental effigy of a franklin on a later chest, said to be inscribed "Toma atte Sloo" on the fold of the cote, and
thought to be c1360. Cadaver effigy on well preserved Perpendicular chest tomb, not coeval. Slate slab to Robert Hooper
died 1720. Brass to Elizabeth Butler died 1588. Restored Perpendicular Hall stone font with painted late C19 canopy.
Painting on canvas of King David, or Saul, playing a harp with 2 angels nearby, painted egg and dart surround.
(Photograph in NMR; 0livey, North Curry, 1901 Pevsner Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; SANHS
Proceedings, vol 68, 1922; Illustrated in Collinson, History of Somerset, vol 3, 1791).
Listing NGR: ST3193725366
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings