This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0238 / 51°1'25"N
Longitude: -3.2199 / 3°13'11"W
OS Eastings: 314535
OS Northings: 125641
OS Grid: ST145256
Mapcode National: GBR LW.HVF0
Mapcode Global: FRA 464D.WXR
Entry Name: Balgrove's Farmhouse and Adloining Walls to North West and South West
Listing Date: 4 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271028
Location: Oake, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Oake
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Milverton
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
OAKE CP HIGHER COMMON
ST12NW OAKE CP HIGHER COMMON
Blagrove's Farmhouse and
adjoining walls to North-west and
(previously listed under
Farmhouse, Late C17, enlarged 1901. Brick, Flemish bond, on red sandstone random rubble
plinth, limestone dressings,slate roof, brick stacks of circa 1900 Shallow "U'-plan
facing South with 1901 projecting infill of the wings on North front. 2-storeys, and
attic over basement, 1:3:1 bays, cruciform windows with semi-circular heads, except for
2 first floor windows without semi-circular heads flanking blind panel,or perhaps blocked
window opening, above central doorway. 2-light openings in gable ends and leaded 2-light
openings in basement flanking steps to door. 2 semi-circular almost full height
projections with slate caps and 2-light openings flank the central 3 bays, having the
appearance of stair turrets. These openings, the semi-circular heads to the windows and
the first floor window left have all been blocked and painted to simulate glazing.
The ground floor window right has been extended down. There are string courses of ashlar
dividing the storeys and running below the semi-circular heads of the windows, acting as
eaves coping in the centre between the gables. Central door moulded cornice, C20 partially
glazed doubledoors, reached by flight of 8 steps. Left return of 2 bays, ground floor
windows with blocked semi-circular heads. North front with early C20 flat roofed addition,
renewed brickwork. Right return has attached stableblock, externally late C19 - early C20,
but contains large fireplace and oven and maybe recasing of earlier detached kitchen.
Interior: mainly dates from 1901 alterations but West wing contains late C17 bolection
moulded panelled room, painted with veneer to simulate walnut with plaster leaf
frieze above panelling. North-west corner contains small, late C17 staircase with flat
pierced balusters rising to the attics and probably the back stairs. Whether the turrets
showing on the facade actually contained staircases is unclear as they are rather shallow.
The South-east one is blocked but the South-west one is open from the basement. Late C17
brick wall, with coping about 1.5 metres high extends 5 metres from North front and
3metres from South on West side. This is one of the earliest brick houses in the county
and a highlv ambitious design for a farmhouse.
(VA6 Report, unpublished SRO, February 1983).
Listing NGR: ST1453525641
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings