History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatepiers and Gates at Entrance to Churchyard, Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II Listed Building in Sampford Arundel, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9625 / 50°57'45"N

Longitude: -3.2713 / 3°16'16"W

OS Eastings: 310815

OS Northings: 118889

OS Grid: ST108188

Mapcode National: GBR LT.MM2N

Mapcode Global: FRA 461K.MCB

Entry Name: Gatepiers and Gates at Entrance to Churchyard, Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 7 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271097

Location: Sampford Arundel, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA21

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Sampford Arundel

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Sampford Arundel

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Burlescombe

Listing Text

ARUNDEL VILLAGE
ST11NW SAMPFORD ARUNDEL CP
SAMPFORD ARUNDEL VILLAGE
8/157 Gatepiers and gates at entrance
to churchyard, Church of the Holy
Cross

GV II

Three gatepiers and 2 gates. Dated 1897. Made by Ford Brothers and Co of Wellington. Cast and wrought iron. Gatepiers:
cast iron, hollow in section, pyramid topped, moulded cornice, square in plan, recessed pointed arch panel above
rectangular recessed panel. Gates: large wrought iron gate with cresting and attached iron plaque inscribed in raised
lettering "These gates were given by the Parishoners in commemoration of the sixtieth anniversary of the reign of Her
Majesty Queen Victoria June 20th AD 1897". Pedestrian gate to right of similar design. The base of the central
gatepiers and the lock plate of the main gate are both prominently inscribed with the name of the iron founders, Ford
Brothers of Wellington, in raised lettering.


Listing NGR: ST1081518889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.