This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0356 / 51°2'8"N
Longitude: -3.3667 / 3°22'0"W
OS Eastings: 304267
OS Northings: 127140
OS Grid: ST042271
Mapcode National: GBR LP.H0WN
Mapcode Global: FRA 36VC.S8H
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 25 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271160
Location: Chipstable, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Chipstable
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST02NW CHIPSTABLE CP
1/6 Church of All Saints
Parish church, C15 tower restored 1859, nave, aisle and porch rebuilt 1869 by Benjamin Ferrey
incorporating piers of original arcade. Red sandstone coursed rubble, Ham stone dressings,
chamfered plinth, plain clay tiled roofs, coped verges with crosses at apeces except on porch.
West tower with south-east stair turret, 2-bay south aisle, south porch, chancel with south
chapel and south-east vestry. Crenellated 3-stage tower, enlarged central merlon with pierced
panels on south and north sides, set back buttresses rising to string course with gargoyles,
2-light cinquefoil headed bell-openings with Somerset tracery, string course, string course above
west window rises to a gable over 3-light window, continuous hood mould over finely moulded
4-centred arch C15 dorway, C19 door, crenellated stair turret; 3-light west window to buttressed
south aisle, all windows with hoodmoulds and face terminals, single storey gabled porch,
buttresses, pointed arch outer doorway, exagerated trefoil headed inner doorway with trefoil
headed door, 2-light windows on returns; two 2-light windows right priests door, 2-light east
window to vestry, diagonal buttresses at east end with colonnettes in angles, 3-light east windows
2 lancets and two 2-light windows on buttressed north front with lancet at west end where
setback buttress of tower built into nave wall. Interior: rendered. C19 moulded arches dying
into imposts to chancel and chapel, pointed tower arch with trefoil headed panelled jambs.
Two original Perpendicular piers and west respond, angel capitals, recut eastern respond,
carrying C19 Perpendicular style arches. C19 waggon roofs, ribbed and boarded with bosses.
Chamfered Tudor arch to stair turret doorway. C19 fittings including panelled screen to vestry,
font with brass ewer - stone pulpit and C19 benches incorporating parts of C16 bench ends.
Early C20 carved oak lectern. C19 stained glass, east window in memory of deceased 1884.
Harmonium. The arcade is said to incorporate the arms of the Bluet family who were lords
of the manor. (VCH, Somerset, vol V, 1985: Kellys Directory, 1914).
Listing NGR: ST0426727140
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings