History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchinford Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Churchstanton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9098 / 50°54'35"N

Longitude: -3.1198 / 3°7'11"W

OS Eastings: 321368

OS Northings: 112854

OS Grid: ST213128

Mapcode National: GBR M0.QX17

Mapcode Global: FRA 46CP.SG7

Entry Name: Churchinford Chapel

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Last Amended: 18 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271187

Location: Churchstanton, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Churchstanton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Otterford

Listing Text

ST21SW CHURCHSTANTON CP
CHURCHINFORD
8/19 Churchinford Chapel
(formerly listed as Baptist
Chapel)
25.2.55

GV II

Baptist chapel. Dated 1846, bell cote added mid C20. Rendered over rubble, roughcast returns, slate roof, brick bell
cote. Single cell, standard plan. Pilaster quoins, centre bay breaks forward slightly flanked by 2-light pointed arch
wooden windows with divided tracery, central pointed arch opening, ribbed double doors. Sundial over entrance inscribed
with latitude and declination, inscription 'The Heavens declare the glory of God and the firnament showeth his
handiwork", and signed; "JNA Blackmore fecit 1846". Interior: rendered. Flat ceiling. Stained pine gallery with paired
arch-head panels, centre projects forward slightly supported by 2 cast iron columns, stick stair in south-east corner.
Pulpit with similar panelling, stick stairs on returns, handrail stepped up, 3 steps renewed. Benches. Mason and Hamlin
American organ. The manse adjoining to north not of special interest due to C20 alterations. This is a chapelry of the
Newhouse Independant Baptist Church. (Photograph in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST2136812854

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.