History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Staple Fitzpaine, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9582 / 50°57'29"N

Longitude: -3.0497 / 3°2'58"W

OS Eastings: 326371

OS Northings: 118164

OS Grid: ST263181

Mapcode National: GBR M3.MWQV

Mapcode Global: FRA 46HK.XB6

Entry Name: The Manor

Listing Date: 7 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271114

Location: Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Staple Fitzpaine

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Staple Fitzpaine

Listing Text


ST21NE STAPLE FITZPAINE CP
STAPLE FITZPAINE VILLAGE

11/175 The Manor

GV II

Rectory, now dwelling. 1840 for the Rev. Fitzhardinge Berkeley Portman. Squared and coursed blue lias, Ham stone
dressings, slate roofs, hipped and gabled, behind parapets, large external stack north-east corner on entrance facade,
clustered stacks centre and to west. Double pile with long service wing to west. Entrance front (north), 2 storeys,
2:1:2:1 bays, set back service wing to right, chamfered string courses and moulded plinths, narrow sash windows with
horizontal bars, large external stack left flanked by windows, full height gabled porch, oriel window with apron and
square hood mould to Tudor arch head doorway, half-glazed ribbed double doors; 2 and 3-light windows right with gabled
parapet and cross wing to end bay. Left return of 2 bays with full height canted bay, long asymmetrical gabled south
front. Interior not seen. This was built as the rectory by the Rev Portman who also rebuilt Curland (qv) and Bickenhall
Church, the latter resited nearer the rectory, now Neroche Parish Hall (qv). As the brother of Lord Portman who owned
all of Staple Fitzpaine CP, the Rev Portman also held the benefices of Stoke St Mary and Thurlbear. (Sixsmith, Staple
Fitzpaine and the Forest of Neroche, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST2637118164

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.