History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edington House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Edington, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1524 / 51°9'8"N

Longitude: -2.8801 / 2°52'48"W

OS Eastings: 338538

OS Northings: 139610

OS Grid: ST385396

Mapcode National: GBR MB.7Q4X

Mapcode Global: VH7DL.197D

Entry Name: Edington House

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344661

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269482

Location: Edington, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Edington

Built-Up Area: Catcott

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Polden Wheel

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Edington

Listing Text

EDINSTON CP BROADMEAD LANE (West side)
ST33NE
9/41 Edington House
29.3.63
-
GV II*

Small country house. Original farmhouse wing at rear facing road of c1640, main
portion at right-angles to road added 1780, further wing to east of 1810.
Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, double-Roman tile roofs,
squared rubble and brick stacks, mostly renewed. L-plan; Classical. Main
front of 2 storeys, 1:1:1 bays, first and third broad and padimented, rusticated
alternating ashlar quoins at corners and between the bay sets, parapet with a
coping overall and stone eagle, ball finials at each corner, some missing; first
floor band; 12-pane sash windows, voussoirs, keys. Elevated central door opening,
transom light with ornamental glazing bars, 6-panelled door, stone triangular
pediment on brackets; 6 stone steps up to door with half round nosings,
decorative wrought-iron handrail to each side. Two bay addition of 1810 set back
on left, conforming style; quoins, cornice, parapet with coping, ball finial at
corner; large 9-pane sash windows on first floor, larger 12-pane sash windows on
ground floor. Set back to extreme left a niche re-sited late C20, segmental
headed broad opening with rusticated voussoirs, behind a semi-circular niche
with domed ceiling, above 2 obelisk finials. Wing at right-angles to rear of 2
storeys and attic, 3-bays; 2,3, and 4-light mullioned and transomed casements,
cambered heads with voussoirs; glazing bars, 3 with inset iron casements and
leaded lights; attic with 2 gabled dormers. Central door opening, studded plank
door, transom light with glazing bars, flathood with edge moulding and lead
capping on scrolled console brackets. Richly fitted late C18 and early C19 interior
with high quality panelling, chimney-pieces, staircase, ornamental plasterwork,
cupboards and doors, particularly to the 3 principal reception rooms; coved
ceiling to first floor of 1810 wing. Large stone eagle to centre of parapet of
main block probably added this century. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South
and West Somerset 1958).


Listing NGR: ST3853839610

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.