This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1856 / 51°11'8"N
Longitude: -2.8665 / 2°51'59"W
OS Eastings: 339533
OS Northings: 143291
OS Grid: ST395432
Mapcode National: GBR MC.5FLM
Mapcode Global: VH7DD.8GFF
Entry Name: Church of St Philip and St James
Listing Date: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269449
Location: Burtle, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: Burtle
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Polden Wheel
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
BURTLE CP STATION ROAD (West side)
ST34SE EDINGTON BURTLE
6/10 Church of St Philip and St James
Anglican parish church. 1838-9 by Richard Carver, the County Architect and
Surveyor. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slender buttresses
with offsets, coped verges, slate roof; to east a cruciform finial; to west a
polygonal stone bellcote with embattled parapet and ribbed stone spirelet with
poppy finial, weathervane, each alternating face with bell-opening, wooden
louvres. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry. Decorated style. Three
bay nave, 2-light windows with simple stone tracery, west end with narrow door
opening, above a blank 4-light stone mullioned and transomed window. Simple
porch, plain outer door opening, flagstone floor, inner plank door with good
iron hinges. Small plain vestry. Single bay chancel, 2-light square-headed
windows to north and south; 3-light east window with intersecting tracery.
Plastered interior on flagstone, tile and encaustic tile floors; plastered
elliptical shaped ceiling to nave; plastered wagon ceiling to chancel; bold
ornamental cornices; plastered chancel arch. The fittings are contemporary,
including west gallery, pews, font, reader, pulpit, decalogue plaque, altar
rails and choir stalls. Jacobean coffin stool. C19 wheeled bier. Stained glass
to west window of 1864; other windows with plain square paned leaded lights.
Brass memorial plaque of 1892. (Colvin H M, Biographical Dictionary of British
Listing NGR: ST3953343291
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings