This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0938 / 51°5'37"N
Longitude: -2.8943 / 2°53'39"W
OS Eastings: 337471
OS Northings: 133099
OS Grid: ST374330
Mapcode National: GBR MB.C6LK
Mapcode Global: FRA 46T7.B8K
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269550
Location: Middlezoy, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: Middlezoy
Built-Up Area: Middlezoy
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
MIDDLEZOY CP CHURCH ROAD (East side)
5/28 Church of the Holy Cross
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, restored C19. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slate and
lead-sheeting roofs, coped verges, finials. Nave with south aisle and a south porch, north transept, chancel, west
tower. Geometrical, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. Lofty 3-stage tower of Quantock type; set-back buttresses
connected diagonally across the angle, buttresses terminate in tall diagonally-set shafts on the top stage, pinnacles
set diagonally at the corners; topping polygonal stair-turret to north; west doorway, 4-light west window with fine
tracery; on stage above 2-light windows with Somerset tracery, flanking canopied niches; on bell-chamber stage twin
2-light openings, Somerset tracery, flanked by thin shafts with pinnacles. Nave with 3-light Perpendicular windows to
north. Aisle of 5 bays; on south side 2-light windows with plate tracery, a small lancet, and a 3-light Perpendicular
window with square head; to west end 3-light Perpendicular window; to east end 3-light window with reticulated tracery
of c1330; buttresses; on south wall a lead plaque dated 1752. Gabled porch with broad outer door opening, benched
inside on a flagstone floor, small double-chamfered inner doorway with trefoil niche over. Single bay north transept,
low-pitched gable, parapet with coping, 3-light windows. Two bay chancel, 2-light windows, renewed tracery of c1300, 2
lancet lights with trefoils above them and a quatrefoil under the main arch, conforming 3-light east window with
septfoil under main arch; evidence of former rood-turret to north, ribbed and studded priest's door to south, moulded
surround, label with carved head stops. Plastered interior on flagstone floors. Arcade to aisle of 5 bays, piers of
4-hollows section, arch to north transept in similar style. Panelled Perpendicular tower arch, angel busts, incomplete
fan-vault. Nave with ceiled C17 wagon roof, moulded cornice, ornamental bosses, pendants over former rood. Aisle
windows with small internal shafts. Chancel windows with rere-arches. Corbel heads to aisle roof. Two good piscinae.
Octagonal Perpendicular font with Jacobean tester. Good miserere to chancel. C16 rood screen, tall, panels of 4-lights
with a middle mullion reaching to the apex of the arch, coving missing. Jacobean tower screen with upper section of
balusters. C17 altar. Two C17 chests; pulpit, wooden with blank arches in two tiers. Some late medieval carved bench
ends, some poppy finials. C18/C19 wall monuments. Stained glass figure of St Dorothy to south aisle lancet, C16; some
C19 stained glass. (Pevsner, N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Photographs in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST3747333103
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings