This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1581 / 51°9'29"N
Longitude: -2.9215 / 2°55'17"W
OS Eastings: 335653
OS Northings: 140276
OS Grid: ST356402
Mapcode National: GBR M8.7CNF
Mapcode Global: VH7DK.95W1
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344698
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269469
Location: Cossington, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: Cossington
Built-Up Area: Cossington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
COSSINGTON CP MANOR ROAD (West side)
6/30 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, substantially restored 1900. Coursed and
coursed and squared rubble, slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials.
Nave, chancel, south porch, west tower. Mostly Perpendicular. Three stage
embattled tower with diagonal buttresses, polygonal stair turret; 2-light bell
chamber windows with louvres, two 2-light windows at ringing chamber stage, one
blank, one glazed; 3-light west window; blocked west doorway with 4-centred arch
head, floral decoration to spandrels, stopped label with figures of angels. Three
bay nave, 3-light windows, 3-light window set high up on east gable face, 2
buttresses, probably of the 1900 restoration, on north wall. Buttressed south porch,
moulded C14 outer opening, sundial over, paired panelled doors, inside is benched
on flagstone floor, moulded inner door opening, above a niche for a former statue.
Two bay chancel, paired lancet windows to south, C13 rere-arches; north wall with
remains of small window, again C13; priests door; 3-light east window; early C19
memorial tablet set into south wall. Interior with scraped nave, plastered
chancel, flagstone floors. Wagon roofs to nave and chancel with ribs and bosses.
Moulded tower arch, lancet ringing chamber window set over; simple chancel arch.
Remains of a south transept arch. Chancel with C13 tomb-recess with a cinquefoil
head. Slender C15 font with quatrefoil panels. Jacobean coffin stool. C19 pews,
pulpit, decalogue plaques and reredos. Many C18/C19 wall monuments, most
noteworthy over south door of the nave. Cl8 alms box. Four mid/late C19 stained
glass windows; fragment of medieval glass to south window of nave; remainder of
windows with plain leaded lights. Two brasses, to John Brent and wife, obit.
1524, large figures inset to chancel floor. (Pevsner, Buildings of England,
South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST3565340276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings