This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0797 / 51°4'46"N
Longitude: -3.1699 / 3°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 318145
OS Northings: 131800
OS Grid: ST181318
Mapcode National: GBR LY.D8RF
Mapcode Global: FRA 4678.JVQ
Entry Name: Cothelstone Manor
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344838
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270297
Location: Cothelstone, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Cothelstone
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST13SE COTHELSTONE CP
3/86 Cothelstone Manor
Incorrectly marked on OS map as Cothelstone Farm formerly Manor House.
Manor House. Mid C16, largely demolished 1646 and rebuilt 1855-6. Squared
coursed red sandstone with white limestone dressings, tiled roof, coped
gabled wings, ashlar stacks and large external stack on left return
"U"-plan. 2 storeys, 1:2:1 bays; 5-light mullion windows to right of
entrance in central block, 7-light in gabled wings groundfloor, string
course, above paired 2-light mullions under hood moulds with blind
niches in gable ends. Central block has pair of 3-light mullions
projecting through the eaves with gabled tops carrying ball finials on
the kneelers with coronets at apices similar to gabled wings. All the
mullions are of the tripartite baluster type unique to Cothelstone.
Groundfloor windows have oval leaded panes, those above are diamond
shaped. Main block and inner return walls of wings have unusual
tapering buttresses set on moulded plinths with carved design set on
imposts. Similar reduced versions with ball finials and partially
twisted shafts flank the 4-centred arch entrance surmounted by an
elaborate coat of arms. Mid C19 internal porch with arched doorway to
right. Rain water head inscribed EJE 1856. Interior: all appears to
date from the mid C19. After the destruction of the Civil War only the
left-hand wing and ground floor of the central block remained. The
house was re-roofed and restored by E.J. Esdaile 1855-6.
(B. Stawell, History of a Quantock Family, 1910; Country Life, Jan 11,
1908, SANHS Proceedings, vol 44, 1898, vol 54, 1908; photographs NMR).
Listing NGR: ST1814531800
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings