History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almshouses and Raised Footway and Retaining Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Lydeard, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0618 / 51°3'42"N

Longitude: -3.1876 / 3°11'15"W

OS Eastings: 316874

OS Northings: 129829

OS Grid: ST168298

Mapcode National: GBR LX.FJ7Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 4669.XP3

Entry Name: Almshouses and Raised Footway and Retaining Wall

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270242

Location: Bishop's Lydeard, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Bishop's Lydeard

Built-Up Area: Bishops Lydeard

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bishops Lydeard

Listing Text

ST1629 BISHOPS'S LYDEARD CP HIGH STREET (East side)

10/30 Almshouses and railed footway and
retaining wall
(Almshouses formerly listed)

25.2.55

¯ II

Almshouses. 1616, restored 1854 and mid C20. Built by Sir Richard Grobham, restored by Mrs Mary Hill. Red sandstone
random rubble, slate roof, coped verges, brick stacks corbelled out at gable ends. 2-storeys, 11 bays; 2- and 3-light
red sandstone mullioned windows, single light to right of pair of segmental headed doorways between third and fourth
bays right, right-hand one slightly larger and opening onto cross passage giving access to rear with iron gate another
pair of doors between seventh and eighth bays, fith door in end bay left. C19 plank doors with ornamental hinges.
Coved string course divides the storeys. Recessed plaque above right of left-hand pair of doorways with coat or arms
and date 1616, another over cross passage entrance with inscription dated 1854. Stone flagged footway with stone setts
to channel running along front of almshouses. Low red sandstone retaining wall surmounted by iron railings. Steps to
right hand end.


Listing NGR: ST1687429829

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.