This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0875 / 51°5'15"N
Longitude: -3.1765 / 3°10'35"W
OS Eastings: 317696
OS Northings: 132682
OS Grid: ST176326
Mapcode National: GBR LY.CM38
Mapcode Global: FRA 4677.VQ9
Entry Name: Lower Terhill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344853
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270264
Location: Bishop's Lydeard, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Bishop's Lydeard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST13SE BISHOP'S LYDEARD CP
3/53 Lower Terhill Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C16, enlarged C17 and mid C19. Rendered over cob and random
rubble, slate roofs, bargeboarded on independently roofed Victorian
addition, large external stack on North front, brick stack at West gable
end of original block and South gable end of C17 addition. "L"-plan, 3
cell and cross passage derivative facing South, C17 addition to South-
east, Victorian addition to West. Entrance now on East front: 2 storeys,
2 bays; C19 casements, 3-light above doorway to right, left-hand side
breaks forward (C17 addition) 4-light dormer, similar below altered late
C20, independently roofed extension to left.
Interior: chamfered beams with runout stops to left of cross passage, to
right 9 panel moulded compartment ceiling, South-east room (to left of
C20 entrance) moulded oval bayleaf ceiling centre with decorative strips
of plasterwork attaching it to outer rectangular frame, incomplete
plaster frieze of floral ornament, plaster overmantel with unidentified
coat of arms and supporters, obscured by late C20 paint. Stairs once
stood to left of fireplace (blocked) giving access to main bedroom above (divided) with coved ceiling, Tudor rose on ceiling and plaster
overmantel of unidentified biblical scene. 4 centred arch doorhead. Roof
not inspected, it is possible that this was originally an open hall
house. This was the Manor house of East Bagborough.
(J Collinson, The History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset,
Vol III, 1791).
Listing NGR: ST1769632681
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings