History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bonsons Mill House with Attached Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Fiddington, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1628 / 51°9'46"N

Longitude: -3.1097 / 3°6'34"W

OS Eastings: 322501

OS Northings: 140979

OS Grid: ST225409

Mapcode National: GBR M1.7003

Mapcode Global: VH7DG.11WF

Entry Name: Bonsons Mill House with Attached Mill

Listing Date: 24 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344901

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268885

Location: Fiddington, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Fiddington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Stogursey

Listing Text

ST24SW FIDDINGTON CP
BONSON

3/38 Bonsons Mill House with attached
mill

GV II

House with attached mill. Mill with inscribed datestone:- "1734", though all rebuilt early C19. House of coursed
rubble, colourwashed, rubble parapet with a coping, pantile roof, coped verges, end brick stacks. Symmetrical frontage,
2 storeys and basement, 3 bays; 16-pane sash windows with glazing bars, except central window to first floor with a
semi-circular head in a Gothick style; basement with open arcade of 3 semi-circular archways giving onto brick lined
vaults. Central 6-panelled door in a semi-circular head opening, fanlight with glazing bars in a gothick style, metal
hood on paired scrolled wrought- iron brackets, stone steps bridging the basement area. Attached will to left of
coursed rubble, hipped triple-Roman tile roof; the ground falls away from the house towards the mill, thus the basement
area of the former becomes an additional storey of the latter which is of 3 storeys; irregular window and door
openings, many with cambered heads, brick voussoirs, 2 and 3-light mullioned windows, iron stanchions, some with leaded
lights; 4 door openings to ground floor, plank doors; 3 further door openings to first floor. Semi-circular archway to
left of ground floor, brick voussoirs; this is where the former mill-leat emerged from the building after passing over
the internal overshot mill wheel. Most of the milling mechanism now removed, though 2 mill stones remain in-situ on the
first floor. Together the house and mill form a picturesque unit.


Listing NGR: ST2250140979

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.