This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1503 / 51°9'1"N
Longitude: -3.1498 / 3°8'59"W
OS Eastings: 319674
OS Northings: 139636
OS Grid: ST196396
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.7V41
Mapcode Global: VH6GZ.CC50
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344922
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268908
Location: Nether Stowey, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Nether Stowey
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST13NE NETHER STOWEY CP
11/59 Church of St Mary the Virgin
(formerly listed under General)
Parish church. C15 tower, remainder rebuilt 1851 by Richard Carver and Charles Edmund Giles, works executed by W M
Shewbrooks of Taunton. Coursed and squared red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, slate and asbestos slate roofs,
coped verges with cruciform finials. Perpendicular and Decorated styles. Nave with South porch and North and South
aisles, chancel with a North vestry, West tower, Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, corner pinnacles,
embatted stair-turret, prominent gargoyles, 2-light bell-chamber windows; shafted tower arch. Four bay nave with
arcading, 2 bay chancel; 2-light windows; South aisle with a parapet; 3-light East and West windows. Plastered
interior; arch braced roof to nave and North aisle; lean-to roof to South aisle; plastered wagon roof to chancel.
Restored octagonal font of C15; in the chancel 2 brackets with two bishops mitres to commmemorate two vicars who became
bishops, probably late C18, Royal coat of arms of c1710. Four C18 tablets, one to North aisle pedimented, 6 C19
tablets; that adjacent to South doorway to Thomas Poole of 1837. Much C19 stained glass, of particular note the East
window of the Ascension of 1886 by Ward and Hughes and the North aisle window of the Good Samaritan of l893. Tablet
commemorating the rebuild adjacent to the tower arch. (Pevsner, buildings of England, South and West Somerset,
Listing NGR: ST1967439636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings