History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Otterhampton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.183 / 51°10'58"N

Longitude: -3.0796 / 3°4'46"W

OS Eastings: 324635

OS Northings: 143197

OS Grid: ST246431

Mapcode National: GBR M2.5MMK

Mapcode Global: VH7D8.KJSG

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344927

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268930

Location: Otterhampton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Otterhampton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Otterhampton

Listing Text

ST24SW OTTERHAMPTON CP

OTTERHAMPTON VILLAGE

3/79 Church of All Saints

29.3.63

GV II*

Parish church. C12 establishment; C14, C15, much C19 restoration. Coursed and squared blue lias and sandstone rubble,
coped verges, slate roofs. Perpendicular; nave, chancel, north chapel now a vestry, west tower. Three stage embattled
tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell chamber windows with louvres, prominent gargoyles; west door, west windows of
3-lights, both with stopped labels. Two bay nave, single bay chancel, 2 and 3-light square headed windows, each light
with a foiled head, rere-arches; each window opening with a label, those to south of nave with stops carved as heads;
3-light east window, again with a rere-arch. Buttressed porch, plain chamfered doorway, inside benches and a foiled
niche to East wall; C15 inner door. Scraped interior on tile floors. Plain chamfered chancel and tower arches; the
former with flanking ogee and semi-circular headed niches; the latter with moulded head on corbels. Norman font with a
ribbed Jacobean cover; restored C15 chancel screen with 2 Jacobean figures said to represent Adam and Eve. Pews, choir
stalls and pulpit of C19, also 2 sconces for candles adjacent North window of the chancel. C17 altar rail, turned
balusters, some removed. Tablet to chancel floor with a floriated cross marking vault of Everard family; 3 C19 tablets;
wooden plaque with achievement; large painting of Christ in The Judgement Hall. The tower has an Elizabethan bell-frame
and 4 bells, one of C16, 2 others dated 1617, 1737. Railed enclosure to East of the porch, cast-iron railings with
spear caps. (Church guide, undated; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST2463543197

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.