History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandford Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Wembdon, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1359 / 51°8'9"N

Longitude: -3.0443 / 3°2'39"W

OS Eastings: 327033

OS Northings: 137918

OS Grid: ST270379

Mapcode National: GBR M3.8QLB

Mapcode Global: VH7DH.5QZ3

Entry Name: Sandford Manor

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Last Amended: 24 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344928

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268948

Location: Wembdon, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Wembdon

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bridgwater

Listing Text

ST23NE
8/97
29.3.63

WEMBDON CP

WEMBDON HILL (South Side)

Sandford Manor
(Formerly listed as Sandford
Farm House) )

II

Marked on OS map as Sandford Farmhouse.Manor house.
Dated by inscription 1570, though core appears earlier, C19 alterations; for Thomas Broughton.
Coursed and squared red sandstone rubble, hipped and gabled
slate roofs, coped verges, C19 brick stacks. T-plan, of 2 distinct heights,
main entrance in a lower wing to rear. Entrance frontage of 2 storeys, 1:2 bays,
left bay projecting; predominantly 3 and 4-light reserved chamfer stone
mullioned windows, further ovolo-moulded stone mullioned window,
stopped labels, 3 window openings to ground floor with relieving arches;
2 windows with iron stanchions and leaded lights; 2 small single-light
windows in stone surrounds to right of first floor, one blocked.
Semi-circular head stone doorcase, bold carved leaf decoration
to the spandrels, moulded cornice on fluted and reeded three-quarter columns,
plain capitals, bases on pedestals, each with a lozenge decoration,
triangular pediment with a base for a finial at its apex; achievement with mantling to tympanum, in relief;- "TB 1570";
doorway gives onto a benched porch, studded inner plank door, pegged wooden frame.
Left return of 3 bays, two 3,4 and 5-light C19 wooden mullioned windows,
some with transoms; single C16 4-light stone mullioned window under a relieving arch.
Gabled stair turret to West elevation of main block, stairs removed.
Some C16 ovolo moulded wooden mullioned windows to rear elevations.
Much altered interior; Salient feature the massive fireplace in moulded
4-centred stone surround; some moulded C16 door surrounds.
Much re-used C16 panelling to the first floor; early C19 staircase.
The former Manor House of the Manor of Sandford.


Listing NGR: ST2703337918

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.