History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Tellisford, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2998 / 51°17'59"N

Longitude: -2.2877 / 2°17'15"W

OS Eastings: 380037

OS Northings: 155671

OS Grid: ST800556

Mapcode National: GBR 0RK.JFH

Mapcode Global: VH971.9LFF

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 11 March 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344982

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267427

Location: Tellisford, Mendip, Somerset, BA2

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Tellisford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Woolverton

Listing Text

ST85NW TELLISFORD CP

2/478 Church of All Saints

11.3.68

GV II

Church. C12, C13, C14 and later, restored 1854. Rubble Doulting stone, stone slate roof with coped gables and finials
with stone crosses. West Tower, Nave with South porch and chancel. Tower, 1490, of 3 stages, unbuttressed. Entrance
on south side, vertically boarded door with "Y" framework set under a 4-centred arch with dripmould; above in chamfered
stone surround on heraldic shield, the sickle device of the Hungerfords, Lords of the Manor; Quatrefoil windows on
South and West sides to ringing floor; paired, square head bell chamber windows on all 4 sides with quaterfoil pattern
perforated stone screens. Battlemented parapet. Stone porch with late Norman arch to door with chevron enrichment,
with Early English columns with moulded capitals and head stops. Nave; 3-light 4- centre square head stone mullion
windows with dripmoulds. Chancel; 2-light Early English plate tracery trefoiled windows. Interior: barrel vaults to
Nave and Chancel circa 1700. Nave plaster ceiling removed, Chancel with carved and painted bosses in leaf design added
1854. East window stain glass 1857. Pulpit dated 1608. Rood screen 1931 embodied small part of medieval screen. In
Chancel, part of lantern from C15 cross, Memorials include, in Nave, Batchelor(s) 1777, Edward Crabb 1810, Ann Crabb
1816; Chancel, Henrey Farewell (Rector) 1705, and William Batchelor (Rector) 1797; External, a tablet on South wall,
facing Crabb Hall, and the Crabb Mill, Joseph and Benjamin Crabb.


Listing NGR: ST8003755671

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.