History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block with Coach House to Shapwick Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shapwick, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1424 / 51°8'32"N

Longitude: -2.8334 / 2°50'0"W

OS Eastings: 341795

OS Northings: 138452

OS Grid: ST417384

Mapcode National: GBR MD.89Z7

Mapcode Global: VH7DL.TKY3

Entry Name: Stable Block with Coach House to Shapwick Manor

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Last Amended: 6 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344994

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269257

Location: Shapwick, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Shapwick

Built-Up Area: Shapwick

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Polden Wheel

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Shapwick

Listing Text

ST43NW SHAPWICK CP STATION ROAD (West side)

2/29 Stable block with coach house to
Shapwick Manor
(formerly listed as Stables)

29.3.63

GV II*

Stable block with coach house. Mid C17, probably for Henry Bull; C18-early C19 alteration and addition. Coursed and
squared lias rubble, stucco, freestone dressings, slate and pantile roofs, coped verges with bases for finials, that to
left with wrought-iron cresting; octagonal clock turret with domed lead roof, ball finial surmounted by a bell with a
striking hammer. Jacobean. Single storey and attic, 1:5:1 bays, 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned and transomed
windows to centre bays, stopped labels, upper lights leaded, iron stanchions; cast-iron casement to left window. Three
door openings; to left broad with a segmental head, paired plank doors; adjacent to its right with a 4-centred head in
a dressed stone surround, plank door; to right broad with a 4-centred head in a dressed stone surround, label, studded
plank door with concealed latch mechanism on left jamb. Two storey wing projecting at right-angles to right, reserved
chamfer stone-mullioned window to each floor of inner face. Later addition set back to left, single pitch pantile roof
behind a parapet with coping; 2 door openings with segmental heads, paired plank doors; 2-light stone-mullioned windows
with adjacent door opening in a dressed stone surround with a 4-centred head, studded plank door. Interior of main
block on lias setts; 6 C17 stalls divided by an arcade of slightly bellied Tuscan columns, arches with semi-circular
heads and turned pendants. Former windvane, now missing, dated 1691.


Listing NGR: ST4179538452

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.