This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1105 / 51°6'37"N
Longitude: -2.6561 / 2°39'22"W
OS Eastings: 354162
OS Northings: 134787
OS Grid: ST541347
Mapcode National: GBR MN.B6W0
Mapcode Global: VH8BB.XC50
Entry Name: Church of St Dunstan
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345010
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267477
Location: Baltonsborough, Mendip, Somerset, BA6
Civil Parish: Baltonsborough
Built-Up Area: Baltonsborough
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST53SW BALTONSBOROUGH CP CHURCH WALK (Nest side)
9/5 Church of St Dunstan
Anglican Parish Church. All C15, C19 restoration. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, some stucco to
tower, stone tile roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, south porch. West tower, C19 vestry and
organ loft; Perpendicular. Three stage tower, diagonal buttresses on bottom 2 stages, 2-light bell-chamber windows,
embattled ashlar parapet, square lead-covered spirelet; large weather-vane; 3-light west window, west door. Buttressed
4 bay nave, 2-light windows, pointed heads. Two bay chancel, again with buttresses, 2-light windows, pointed heads;
priests door on the south, 4-light east window. South porch with an ashlar frontage, early C19 wrought-iron dog-gates
with a lamp over; C15 inner door with surface tracery. Plastered interior with ceiled wagon roofs to nave and chancel,
each with ribs and bosses; to nave enriched adjacent to the chancel arch; that to chancel with an elaborate wall plate
with carved paterae, 5 carved wooden angled to each of the north and south sides. Bell-ringers loft under tower, rail
with turned balusters. Elaborately moulded and similar the chancel and tower arches. Piscina to chancel with a foiled
head and the remains of sore painted decoration; futher piscina to nave; aumbry; sedilia with 2 carved panels, one with
a central fleur-de-lis, one with an achievement and raised lettering: "Mors Novltra". Restored C15 pews, one with a
hinged seat projecting into the aisle, C19 choir stalls. C15 octagonal font and pulpit, the latter with large foiled
niches. C19 alas box on a medieval base. C19 rood screen and reredos. Royal aras. Chair dated 1667. Some C19 stained
glass. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5414934791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings