This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1722 / 51°10'20"N
Longitude: -2.7766 / 2°46'35"W
OS Eastings: 345804
OS Northings: 141729
OS Grid: ST458417
Mapcode National: GBR MH.6DC5
Mapcode Global: VH7DF.TSHR
Entry Name: The Abbot's Fish House
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267765
Location: Meare, Mendip, Somerset, BA6
Civil Parish: Meare
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
MEARE CP PORTERS HATCH (North side)
3/59 The Abbot's Fish House
House of the chief fisherman of the Abbot of Glastonbury; also used for salting and preparing fish. C14 (temp. Edward
III); roof renewed C20. Much weathered coursed and squared rubble, stone-tiled roof, restored eaves cornice, coped
verges with finials, freestone dressings. Rectangular on plan, 4 rooms to ground floor, 2 rooms to first floor, though
floor now removed; irregular fenestration; East end with a traceried 2-light pointed-arch window; 2-light chamfered
stone-mullioned windows; single-light openings in chamfered surrounds; all openings with later iron grilles.
Two-centred arch doorway in a chamfered stone surround to South; similar opening on first floor, formerly reached by a
flight of stone steps, now missing; 2 further narrow door openings to West, one on each floor; again iron grilles.
Interior with fireplace on each floor; 4 door opening in dressed stone surrounds. The building stood on the South-West
bank of Meare Pool, which had a circumference of 5 miles; it was drained in the late C18. It is postulated that the
fish house was erected in the time of Abbot Adam of Sodbury (1322-1335), who was also responsible for nearby Manor
Farmhouse (q.v). Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 3). (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West
Somerset, 1958; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 9 September, l174).
Listing NGR: ST4580441729
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings