History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chilcompton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2697 / 51°16'11"N

Longitude: -2.5074 / 2°30'26"W

OS Eastings: 364697

OS Northings: 152410

OS Grid: ST646524

Mapcode National: GBR MV.08JV

Mapcode Global: VH89N.HB9Y

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 21 September 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267816

Location: Chilcompton, Mendip, Somerset, BA3

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Chilcompton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Chilcompton

Listing Text

CHILCOMPTON CP CHURCH LANE (South side)
ST65SW
4/17 Church of St John The Baptist
21.9.60
GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C15, much rebuilt C19. Coursed and squared rubble, ashlar, freestone dressings, lead sheeting
and slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south chapels, north porch, west tower; Perpendicular
and neo-Perpendicular. Tower of c1460, embattled, 2 stages, diagonal buttresses, 3-light traceried bell-chamber windows
with quatrefoil grilles, polygonal stair turret, 4-light west window, carved heads as label steps, tracery renewed C19.
Nave and aisles 1839 by Jesse Gane; 4 bays, buttressses, embattled, slender 3-light windows; contemporary the gabled
porch, iron dog-gates. Chancel and flanking chapels 1897 by F. Bligh Bond, 2-light windows, 4-light east window, large
gargoyles at east end probably re-used from an earlier fabric. Lofty plastered interior on flag stone, tile and
encaustic flagstone tile floors under elaborate roofs; 4-bay arcades to north and south aisles, piers of 4 hollows
section. Perpendicular tower arch. C12 tub font: remains of Elizabethan tomb to Richard Seward in south aisle; further
C17, C18 and C19 monuments, predominantly by Reeves of Bath. Good brass lectern. Pews, choir stalls, organ and pulpit
of c1900. Simple stained glass of late C19. Six early bells. (Atthill, Church Guide, 1980).


Listing NGR: ST6469752410

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.