This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2552 / 51°15'18"N
Longitude: -2.4896 / 2°29'22"W
OS Eastings: 365927
OS Northings: 150779
OS Grid: ST659507
Mapcode National: GBR MW.1124
Mapcode Global: VH89N.SQP5
Entry Name: Church of St Vigor
Listing Date: 2 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267993
Location: Stratton on the Fosse, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Stratton on the Fosse
Built-Up Area: Stratton-on-the-Fosse
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
STRATON-ON-THE-FOSSE CP CHURCH LANE (North side)
13/181 Church of St. Vigor
Anglican Parish Church. Probably C12 origin, minor C14 work, much rebuilt C15/C16, further rebuilding late C18,
restored C19. Random and coursed rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, cruciform finial. Nave with a
north aisle and a South porch, chancel, west tower; Perpendicular. Three stage tower, plain parapet, pinnacles, 2-light
bell-chamber windows, each light with a semi-circular head, quatrefoil interlace; similar style west window. Three bay
nave; south-west corner with carved heads of a former Norman corbel table; 3-light square-headed windows with labels.
Elaborate gabled porch with 2-stage corner buttresses, gargoyles, moulded outer door opening, label stops carved as
angels, above a canopied niche for a former statue; inside benched on flagstone floor, stoup, plain semi-circular head
Norman inner doorway, traceried Perpendicular door. Chancel said to be rebuilt 1765, though 2-light east window with
reticulated tracery re-used. North aisle known as Knatchbull Chapel rebuilt 1782, on medieval foundation; 3-light
windows with intersecting tracery. Plastered interior on tile and flagstone floors; C18 plastered ceiling to nave with
a cornice; similar though more elaborate ceiling to Knatchbull Chapel; chancel with C19 wagon roof. Chancel arch and 2
bay arcade to Knatchbull Chapel Perpendicular; squat tower arch, possible C12 though much rebuilt. Norman tub font;
Perpendicular stone pulpit; C16 chest; remainder of fittings C19 including pews, choir stalls, altar rails and
decalogue plaques. Many important monuments, mostly to Knatchbull Chapel; 6 slabs, particularly to William Long of 1658
with fine lettering and formerly with brass, now missing; 17 principal wall monuments to Knatchbull and Long families,
some of very high quality with figures in relief by T. King of Bath. Royal Arms of 1805. C15 piscina; large quantity of
medieval stained glass re-set in windows of Knatchbull Chapel. (Church Guide).
Listing NGR: ST6592750780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings