This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.199 / 51°11'56"N
Longitude: -2.6094 / 2°36'33"W
OS Eastings: 357516
OS Northings: 144601
OS Grid: ST575446
Mapcode National: GBR MQ.4LQS
Mapcode Global: VH89Z.Q4C4
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268058
Location: St. Cuthbert Out, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: St Cuthbert Out
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST54SE DINDER CP CHURCH STREET (South side)
15/39 Church of St Michael
Anglican Parish Church. Norman establishment, some C14 work, rebuilt C15, restored 1872 with rebuilt chancel and added
organ chamber. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, lead sheeting roofs, coped verge. Perpendicular. Nave, chancel,
north aisle, north organ chamber, south porch, west tower. Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, gargoyles,
2-light bell chamber windows with Somerset-type tracery, stone grilles, topping embattled stair turret, clock, west
window, west door. Three bay embattled nave, each aerlon enriched by a foiled niche, gargoyles, pinnacles, 2-light
windows, 2 with square heads and one with a pointed head. Porch with parapet and coping, diagonal buttresses,
gargoyles, shafted outer door opening, benched interior on flagstone floor, C19 roof on corbels carved as heads.
Three-bay aisle, embattled in conforming style to nave, buttresses, gargoyles, pinnacles, 3-light pointed-head windows,
door. Three-bay chancel, reset single and 2-light Decorated windows, 3-light Perpendicular east window. Organ chamber
in Perpendicular style, pierced parapet. Interior plastered on flagstone floor; roofs of the restoration; to nave and
aisle on corbels carved as angels. Three bay arcade to aisle, piers of 4-hollow section; chamfered chancel and tower
arches, possibly earlier than the C15. Arches to organ chamber of 1872. Norman dragon heads reset in the chancel over a
south window. Good stone pulpit dated 1621, with rosettes, fleur-de-lis and symbols of the Trinity. Octagonally
Perpendicular font, a quatrefoil to each face. Piscina also Perpendicular. Pews, choir stalls, altar rails, organ,
reredos and screen late C19. Iron candelabrae. Five late C18-early C19 monuments under tower; elaborate mid C19
monument over north door. Window to south of nave with reset medieval glass fragaents; 8 late C19 stained glass
windows. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5751644601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings