This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2156 / 51°12'56"N
Longitude: -2.6156 / 2°36'56"W
OS Eastings: 357095
OS Northings: 146444
OS Grid: ST570464
Mapcode National: GBR MP.3R4Z
Mapcode Global: VH89S.MQ20
Entry Name: Mendip Hospital Main Building
Listing Date: 19 December 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268198
Location: St. Cuthbert Out, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: St Cuthbert Out
Built-Up Area: South Horrington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 54 NE ST CUTHBERT OUT CP
11/94 Mendip Hospital
County Lunatic Asylum, now hospital. 1845-47. By G G Scott and W B Moffatt, works supervised by Richard Carver, for County Magistrates. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs with ogee-shaped gables and finials, tall grouped ashlar stacks. In the style of a Tudor manor house; double E-shaped frontage approximately 280 m long, virtually symmetrical about the entrance block to the centre which carries the greatest enrichment, 2 long front facing wings each side.
Two storeys, attics, 2, 3 and 4-light stone mullioned windows, each light with a casement, regular spacing of windows, some transomed, some labels, some bay windows.
Entrance block with paired front facing gables, ashlar bell-cote to centre with mullioned and transomed openings, ogee-shaped cupola. Enriched central door opening, ashlar porch. Rear elevation much plainer and with some alteration.
Attached chapel at rear (qv). Interior of interest. An important example of Scott's early institutional work; contract won in open competition; built by Kirk of Sleaford for £38,000. (Builder 1845; architects drawing at RIBA).
The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1238931. This entry was removed from the List on 29th May 2015.
Listing NGR: ST5709546444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings