History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chancellors Farmhouse and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Priddy, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2702 / 51°16'12"N

Longitude: -2.683 / 2°40'58"W

OS Eastings: 352447

OS Northings: 152563

OS Grid: ST524525

Mapcode National: GBR MM.062F

Mapcode Global: VH89K.FBYL

Entry Name: Chancellors Farmhouse and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 16 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268201

Location: Priddy, Mendip, Somerset, BA5

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Priddy

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Priddy

Listing Text

The following building shall be included in the list:-

ST 55 SW PRIDDY Chancellors Farmhouse
and attached out
6/81 buildings

II

Farmhouse. Early C17, with later extensions. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled
pantile roof; original stone end stacks and axial stack rebuilt in brick. Early
C17 3-unit plan with stack backing onto through passage to left of centre with later
C17 bay to left and late C18/early C19 wing with back. Kitchen to rear left.
2-storeys; 3-window range. Timber lintels over plank door with pentice hood and
2-light casements. Rear elevation has C20 plank door set in C17 chamfered stone
architraves and C17 stone-mullioned solo-moulded windows of 2 and 3 lights to
ground floor and late C19. 2-light casements to first floor. Rear wing of 2-window
range with similar 2 and 3-light casements and C19 plank doors. Interior: includes
stone flag floors, deeply-chamfered beams (those to first floor with roll stops) and
C17-C19 plank doors. Ground floor has 2 service rooms to right divided by axial
screen with splat balusters and plank and muntin partition with C18 panelled doors,
a rare survival. Blocked hall fireplace with moulded stone jambs; c.1800 partition
divides through passage from parlour to left, which has c.1800 cast-iron grate and
panelled door to winder stairs. Back kitchen has pump and open fireplace with bread
oven adjoining two coppers. Large first-floor room to right (over hall and service
end) has fine early C17 fireplace with moulded stone jambs and foliate plaster panel
above. Roof of rear wing has reset C15 roof trusses with trefoil and mouchette
carving to openwork collars. Subsidiary features: outbuildings of similar
materials. One-storey outbuilding to front right with reset C15 one-light window.
To rear left is late C18/early C19 open-fronted cartshed attached at right angles to
2-storey stable range which has timber lintels over loft door above two C20 plank
doors and 2-light casements. Interior of working-house stable has chamfered beams
cobbled floor, mangers, feeding rack and collar-truss roof with butt purlins to
loft; hackney horse stable has C19 ramped stall and cobbled floor.

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1272247. This entry was removed from the List on 29th May 2015.

Listing NGR: ST5244752563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.