History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sales House

A Grade II Listed Building in Shepton Mallet, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1928 / 51°11'34"N

Longitude: -2.5494 / 2°32'57"W

OS Eastings: 361702

OS Northings: 143872

OS Grid: ST617438

Mapcode National: GBR MS.53X3

Mapcode Global: VH8B0.R8LY

Entry Name: Sales House

Listing Date: 20 May 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345227

English Heritage Legacy ID: 266501

Location: Shepton Mallet, Mendip, Somerset, BA4

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Shepton Mallet

Built-Up Area: Shepton Mallet

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Shepton Mallet

Listing Text

ST6143 SHEPTON MALLET CP DRAYCOTT ROAD (South side)

6/103 Sales House

20.5.52

GV II

House, now flats. Dated 1769. Doulting ashlar, slate roof, ashlar stacks. Classical style, symmetrical facade.
3-storeys, 9-bays, 3:3:3, central 3-windows in angular bay raising through all floors supported on 3-semi-circular
arches with imposts forming an open porch to main entrance. Semi- circular head door opening with radiating fanlight
and 6-panelled door. Porch flanked by sashes with glazing bars in moulded architraves, similar treatment to first and
second floor openings except first floor sills on moulded brackets with triangular pediment over central opening of
each group of 3-windows. Moulded and dentil cornice surmounted by plain parapet with coping. 0rnamental rainwater head
to left dated 1769. Projecting wing at right angles to facade, rendered, slate roof. 3-storeys, 8-bays, being 2-light
stone mullioned windows, except at extreme right of wing where second floor has triple light window, venetian window
below. Door opening having flat entablature on slender Tuscan columns. Once Convent of Visitation Nuns belonging to
Order founded c1617 by St Francois de Sales. Community disbanded c1810.


Listing NGR: ST6170243872

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.