This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.26 / 51°15'36"N
Longitude: -2.3525 / 2°21'8"W
OS Eastings: 375500
OS Northings: 151265
OS Grid: ST755512
Mapcode National: GBR 0RW.S3H
Mapcode Global: VH976.5LPF
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345316
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267070
Location: Buckland Dinham, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Buckland Dinham
Built-Up Area: Buckland Dinham
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST75SE BUCKLAND DINHAM CP THE CROSS (North side)
4/124 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Nave, chancel, south chapel and south porch of circa 1200, north chapel of 1325, further chapel to north
of chancel and west tower of 1480; late C19 restoration. Rubble, slate and stone tile roof. Nave with 2 early lancets,
remainder of openings of the restoration; south door in Transitional style, depressed arch with outer zig-zag
decoration on vertical springers with colonettes, north door in a much plainer style. Porch with parvise and stone fan
vault, depressed arch outer door opening with panelled reveals reworked C1480. South chapel with single and triple
lancets, shafted and cusped inside, carved taper brackets on north wall. C19 three light cusped east window, 3-light
Perpendicular window to north chancel chapel. Perpendicular tower of 3 stages, diagonally buttressed, single 3-light
bell chamber openings with stone latticework, paired openings in stage below with blind tracery. Interior on encustic
tile and flag floors, oldest feature Norman tub font with frieze. Furniture includes 2 C17 oak chests and a pair of
coffin stools; 2 chairs, one with a carved solid back, the other on turned legs with a latticwork C17 seat and back;
C17 altar table. C17 panelled pulpit, probably once a 3 decker, further similar panelling to rear of sedilia. Half
broken cusped tomb recess to north side of nave; pair of demi- figures to Sir John Dinham and his lady of 1332 set into
floor of north chapel, late C19 commemorative plaque and rails. (SANHS, vol 57i, 1911).
Listing NGR: ST7550351267
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings