History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yenworthy Farmhouse and Wall Returned from North-West Gable End to East Wing

A Grade II Listed Building in Oare, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.2257 / 51°13'32"N

Longitude: -3.7107 / 3°42'38"W

OS Eastings: 280640

OS Northings: 148775

OS Grid: SS806487

Mapcode National: GBR L6.33R9

Mapcode Global: VH5JT.MGN8

Entry Name: Yenworthy Farmhouse and Wall Returned from North-West Gable End to East Wing

Listing Date: 2 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1345378

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265439

Location: Oare, West Somerset, Somerset, EX35

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Oare

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


2/26 Yenworthy Farmhouse and wall
returned from north-west gable
end to east wing



Farmhouse. C17, enlarged and mainly rebuilt circa 1850 by Mr Halliday. Random rubble, slate roofs, overhanging eaves,
decorative bargeboards, external stone stack left gable end, gable end of east wing and set in ridge centre. L-plan.
Two storeys, 2:1:1 bays, all windows with astragal cast iron glazing bars, gabled tops to 3 and 2-light windows left,
lancet in gable end of east wing right, 3-light window below, ground floor 3-light window left of porch, 2-light to
right, stepped buttress, flat roofed rectangular bay with parapet right, single storey gabled porch, diagonal stepped
buttresses with gabled tops, rusticated surround to semi-circular headed opening, diagonal panel set with name
Yenworthy. Left return, north west corner of gable end arched opening abutting random rubble wall about 1.5 m high
returned to wing at rear and including lean-to shed. Interior not seen, said to contain reset beam dated 1628 thought
to be the date of the plan of the farmhouse and of the scroll stops to chamfered beams in front room west wing, rear
room moulded step and runout stops. Otherwise no dateable features. Part of the Glenthorne estate buildings designed by
the owner Mr Halliday with the aid of Robinson's Rural Architecture. A good example of a mid C19 farmhouse designed by
a gentleman architect. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, July 1979).

Listing NGR: SS8064048775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.